Which is Better and Why? Crushed Coral, Live sand, or both?

Which is better and why?

• Total voters

knapp870

Aragonite. Great for colonizing beneficial bacteria and assists in higher Ph levels due to the calcium makeup of aragonite. Most likely the "live" sand will actually be "dead" sand anyway. Not worth the additional cost. After the cycle the sand will become live.

chipmunkofdoom2

Crushed coral is no good (traps nutrients), and live sand is overpriced. Standard, dead aragonite sand works great. I, like nanoreefing4fun, enjoy the Caribsea products.

GlassMunky

Not crushed coral or anything with large grain size. they will trap detritus and could contribute to bad water quality down the road

Yaten13

+1 argonite. Although I did buy just one small bag of "live sand" along with some dry bacterial additives to kick start things. 55g with 2 yellowtail damsels and never saw a cycle, so if you want to, buy a little, but just buy a seeder. Don't fill your whole tank with this expensive stuff.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I voted live sand but what I meant is dry aragonite sand :D no need to waste money o damp sand :D

smoyer

I vote neither! In high flow tanks sand wont stay put and can sand blast corals or barry them. I like bare bottoms.

redneckgearhead

I have about 1-2 inch sand bed with a then layer of CC on top of that. I thought I wanted sand and started removing the CC and soon realized why I wanted the CC on top. My maroon clown loved to blow the sand around with his tail. I hated that it clouded the water and put a dusting of sand all over everything. I dont have problems with nitrates, I believe that is because it is a thin layer of CC. But who knows

Lemonpeel

At the moment I have about 20 lbs of Sand and 50 lbs of cc in my 90 gallon. I hate that I can't put any detritovores in the cc because of the large grain size hurting them, Overall I'd like to switch to Sand, My tank has been set up for about 5 years now so I have no idea how to go about removing the cc and putting in sand without killing everyone in the tank.

Uslanja

We have used CaribSea Live Sand in three tanks and one refugium so far. We have observed amphipods, worms and other life in the live sand within an hour or so of adding it to the tank and the water column clearing enough to allow us to see. We believe that live sand is alive. We have had good luck with our tanks and live sand is a major component of our start up process. We will continue to use it.

Last edited:

DBrinson

+1 to everyone who said aragonite. You can get aragonite that can be classified as "crushed coral", and you can get (dead or alive) sand that is aragonite.

The question isn't gravel or sand, it's what the gravel or sand is made of.

I've seen so many algal blooms caused by non-aragonite substrates lately ... those LFS jockeys carry so many commercial substrates that never cease leeching phosphates and silicates. If you use that stuff, you may as well just scrape off an algae scrubber and dump the gunk in your tank.

redneckgearhead

At the moment I have about 20 lbs of Sand and 50 lbs of cc in my 90 gallon. I hate that I can't put any detritovores in the cc because of the large grain size hurting them, Overall I'd like to switch to Sand, My tank has been set up for about 5 years now so I have no idea how to go about removing the cc and putting in sand without killing everyone in the tank.

You can slowly scoop out the CC and replace it with sand. Just make sure you give the new sand time to become "live" before removing more CC

BLAKEJOHN

We have used CaribSea Live Sand in three tanks and one refugium so far. We have observed amphipods, worms and other life in the live sand within an hour or so of adding it to the tank and the water column clearing enough to allow us to see. We believe that live sand is alive. We have had good luck with our tanks and live sand is a major component of our start up process. We will continue to use it.

I would bet they came off of the live rock and migrated to the sand reletivly quick. But maybe not.

I would use dry argonite(rinse it very well with RO) and a cup or two of truly live sand from an existing tank. Most LFS will give you a cup or so of sand from one of thier tanks.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Aragonite here also. I see no real benefit to the live sand though, unless starting up with dry rock. I think that most, if not all, of the visible critters seen in bagged live sand actually populated it quickly from live rock in the tank.