• Pink tip Haitian A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heteractis Magnifica A

• Haddoni Carpet A

• Brown Foot A

• None of the above , but this one......

• Put it right away

• Your tank is too small

• Too dangerous with your powerheads

• You need this clown fish for that anemone...........

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

Ok i'm starting my 65 g this year;

it will be 50% LPS 50% SPS
Clown fish either Black & White Ocellaris or Ocellaris tank bred
2 Powerheads - Vortex and a Tunze in its rock on the bottom
It has coast to coast overflow box
Octopus recirculating skimmer
A Aquamedic lighting system
2x250W HQI, 2x54W T5
Oceanlight HQI+T5 Combo lighting systems
2 x Aqualine 1000 250W HQI 13,000k
2 x 54W German Ocean Blue Actinics

So the question is which anemone would be ok for the tank with those parameters.

ReefLady

Staff member
Do a lot of research up front on keeping anemones in captivity. Sounds like you'll have the light they require, but they also need a stable, established tank with pretty pristine water conditions. I wouldn't add an anemone until the tank has been up for a year.
Also, these animals will tend to move around your tank, and can sting other organisms, so take that into consideration. Your clowns will not "need" an anemone to thrive.
If you have your heart set on one, I would suggest a captive propagated bubble tip.

Basile

Do a lot of research up front on keeping anemones in captivity. Sounds like you'll have the light they require, but they also need a stable, established tank with pretty pristine water conditions. I wouldn't add an anemone until the tank has been up for a year.
Also, these animals will tend to move around your tank, and can sting other organisms, so take that into consideration. Your clowns will not "need" an anemone to thrive.
If you have your heart set on one, I would suggest a captive propagated bubble tip.

Does the bubble tip move alot and does it become too big? Is it true you can cut an anemone in half and make 2.

lcstorc

As far as moving and getting big, it really depends. I have had some move a lot and others I swear are glued to the rock. I have one in my 125 that even when I completely re-scaped and moved to the opposite side of the tank never left the rock he was on.
Usually they find a place they are happy with and stay but any changes in the lighting or circulation can cause them to pick up and move again.
As to the size, again it could be anything. I have seen them get huge and I have seen them stay small.
Yes you can propogate them by cutting them in half. Once they get over the shock, they don't seem to mind. I watched it done at MACNA this year and before the class was over (1 hr) they were both perking up already.

ReefLady

Staff member
Although the BTA is not a notorious "wanderer" like some other anemones (LTA for instance), they will roam until they find a spot they like. Also, they may decide to move about again if your water conditions change.
They can also get very big - over 12" in diameter. They will also reproduce asexually by splitting. Just understand that these animals can take over your tank.
Here are a couple good articles:

Entacmaea quadricolor. Bubble Tip (BTA), Rose Anemones in Captive Systems

Melevsreef.com - BTA Growth over Time

The Bubble Tip Anemone | Aquarists Online | Aquarium Fish Resources And Information

Be A Host To Your Anemone - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine

HTH,

Basile

Another question; Why is that on all pictures anemone look good and great colors, and in the stores they look, either bleach white, or these horrible grey, dirty brown colors.

Stacef

Several things probably play into this, possibly inadequite lighting, could've just arrived that day, or a few days before and still pouting, porr water conditions, etc.

THose are just my guesses.

lcstorc

Go to a different store. Bleached white is just that, bleached and not healthy. Do not buy.
Depending on the type of anemone various colors are the natural color but if you are looking for a BTA it should be nice and red or nice and green (depending on RBTA or GBTA). Regardless only buy one that looks good and healthy. Anemones are hard enough to keep. You definitely want to start with one in good health.

Basile

Ok thanks, now that i know what i'm looking for i'll be looking for those trait, not white , solid colors and not poutting cool thank.Still got a year to wait but be on the look out.

l3fty999

Yea, but watching clowns interact with the anemone is pretty cool. I got a ritteri and my Ocellaris Clownfish jumped right on in within an hour and a half of introducing it to my reef. It moved around a bit, and it has stayed where it's at now for a while. It's really neat seeing a supposedly "lower lifeform" express pleasure or joy when you give them what they want. They would dive into the nem and shoot right back out, then dive in again. They would also wiggle a lot too. I don't know exactly what they were trying to express, but I am sure it had something to do with either pleasure or security.

Aaron