Where to locate tank

planters49

I'm looking at getting a red sea max 250 as my first tank and the only place in my house that it can go has 3 big windows that let afternoon sun in. I'm concerned about algae problems due to sunlight hitting the tank. Is this an issue I should be concerned with?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
imo - your tank maintenance and husbandry skills will be more of a factor than the stray sunlight

Last edited:

Haaileybop

My tank is bathed in sunlight pretty much from sun up to sun down because I have a corner apartment. I have 0 algae problems, I have had the tank running for about 2 months now maybe 3. I think nano is right about the maintenance can overcome sun.

N83259

+1^ Glenn, but PSU is correct too. Where do you live? The desert Southwest might be completely different from where I live in the mid-Atlantic.

My RSM250 gets some fall/winter sunlight and I have not noticed a problem with algae or heat gain. First it doesn't last too long - not enough to make a difference. Plus it's shining through modern windows with "Low-E" glass (reduces solar radiation), then goes through the RSM glass and my theory is that much of the light energy gets filtered out. And in my case it's late day sun which is more diffused than mid day sun anyway.

Any algae issues I had earlier on were surely caused by my newbie mistakes like over feeding etc. Those 6 T5 lamps will put out much more energy than a sprinkling of diffused sunlight. Plus if it turns out to be a factor for you, I'm thinking you could always compensate by shortening your light cycle by an hour or two.

Plus keep in mind how the eliptic (sun's path) changes over the year...it may or may not be a problem during other times of the year. And mid day sun is much stronger than afternoon sun. If worse comes to worse, maybe you could block the light w/ curtains/shades, tinted film etc.

If you do live in an exceptionally sunny, clear sky area like say Southern Arizona for example, the only thing I'd be concerned with is possible heat gain. This could be checked by letting a glass jar of tap water sit @ room temp in the shade. Then put it in the sunny spot all day. Take a before/after temp reading and see what you have. Even IF you have a significant gain, (I doubt it though) that could be dealt with with a chiller.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
if you do have issues with sunlight on the tank there are a couple of things... not all window glass is created equal, single pane,thermal,low e lots of kinds and all pass more or less short wavelengths of sunlight, there are window films that can be applied that are low e, so? windows shouldn't be a problem, we have the technology, we can rebuild him

planters49

My windows are those low e windows. I live in South Carolina. Sounds like I shouldn't worry about the sunlight then as long as the tank maintenance is done correctly.