Where to get Weldon acrylic glue?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I need some Weldon for my sump project.
I went to Home Depot and Lowes today thinking one of the two would have Weldon but nope.

Where can I get some? Do I have to purchase it online?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
This is copied directly from Melev's site and is where I got info on getting this adhesive.
Update 12/11/2006: Due to issues with shipping Weld-On #4, tapplastics.com has decided to no longer sell or ship it. Weld-On #3 works, but the glue time is so fast that I don't recommend it. I made some calls, and found a source in Indiana that will ship to any hobbyist in the continental U.S. He is a small business and you'll have to call to place an order over the phone or via fax. He is not an internet e-tailer:

Quickseal - ask for Max Plumhoss
(574) 272-8695
(574) 272-5004 (fax number for subsequent orders)
Weld-On #4 - 4oz - $4
Weld-On #4 - 1 pint - $7.90
Needle Tip Applicators - $2.65

Note: Weld-On #4 is considered hazardous material in California, and there will be an additional HAZMAT upcharge of $20. Placing an order for a pint of Weld-On #4 and two applicator bottles plus shipping & handling should run about $28.
Weld-On #16 is considered hazardous material nationwide. A 1.5oz tube is $2.25, but there is a $20 additional HAZMAT upcharge. Maybe just look at it as a tube that costs $22.50.

Also take a look at his site.

http://www.melevsreef.com/tools.html

ReefGuy69

Doni i searched all over NYS to try and get that product. No one carried it. I had to settle for a product called Plumbing Goop. It was recommended by a few plumbers that i spoke with. We went over a list of products that would bond acyrlic. Give me the strength i was looking for and not get brittle or crack being exposed to salt water. Im still unsure if this is going to last long term. So far the sump has been put together over 6 months now. Been filled with water for about 2 months now. Not the slightest sign of leakage. I couldnt really find any chemical charts on the product. I know it doesnt contain any inhibators for mold or mildew and it was designed to hold up to exposure to water. I will keep everyone posted on how it works out. Good luck.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Melev suggested I use weldon... weldon #4 I think. I suppose I will have to order it online... blah! I want it now so I can work on my project! :rolleyes:

ReefGuy69

yeah that weldon seems to be the best for bonding acrylic together. it actually melts them together. cant be a bond like that. Ordering online will probably be the best. But the plumbers i spoke with said that it might be a hard product to get shipped after 9-11 do to if is if flammable or not. Good Luck let us know how it goes.

kathywithbirds

Huh. Friend of ours did his right in our kitchen. PM cigarlvr (wait, try cigrluvr) his name is Dan. We went to home depot and he got what he wanted, stuff that sealed acrylic to his glass tank for a sump. It worked great.

Melev

Have you looked up Plastics in your Yellow Pages yet? Find a few signage stores, and they'll have something that works I'm sure.

Most sign stores like using Weld-On #3 for some reason. And it is even faster than #4.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I'll check out the yellow pages when I get to work tomorrow and make a few phone calls. Hopefully I can pick some up at lunch time. Thanks!

Kathy, I am using Aquarium Silcone for the majority of it but I need a little bit of Weldon to attach some acrylic braces to the baffles (acrylic to acrylic).

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Doni, I have Weld-on #3 and a plastic applicator bottle if you want them. I will never use it. If I ever need it you can send it back or we can pass it around.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Excellent Scott! I only need several drops :)
This will be the second thing you've sent me! lol
BTW.. I'm using the Salifert copper test kit ... again. Thanks :D