where to find seagrass and mangroves

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would ask BigAl. I just noticed he has some in his refugium.
Personally I would just go down to the shore and find it. It's pretty abundant in the south. Here's a little bump for you Greg.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Don't ask Me... LOL!!

Greg I'm pretty sure I got it from you buddy!! Didn't I?

If not then I'll part with some of mine when it grows out more and send you some. I'm pretty ding dang sure I got it from you though. Now I'm second guessing myself... LOL!!

mps9506

I would ask BigAl. I just noticed he has some in his refugium.
Personally I would just go down to the shore and find it. It's pretty abundant in the south. Here's a little bump for you Greg.

No!!!! Highly illegal to disturb seagrass beds! :)

I'm off to dig up some sources for you, there are several places that culture several species of seagrass. Any particular species you are looking for?
I'm not sure bout the mangrove shoots. I don't know much about mangroves, except there are some issues with salinity. Something I never bothered keeping or researching, ever... :D

There's a company in Tampa that sells Mangroves on Ebay. I haven't purchased them yet, but I did buy their HOB refugium and I must say that it's top notch. Received it in one day (a Saturday no less!!) and it was packaged extremely well. They took great care of the macro algae - each in its own sealed bag, lil hand warmer heaters, etc. It's been setup for a few weeks and macro algae and pods are doing great. Since it's a HOB, I may just try 1 Mangrove shoot just for kicks - don't have a ton of room to devote to them. The 3 shoot package is tempting though b/c it's only $16 shipped.

Sorry, no help for the seagrass though

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey that last link looks promising Mike. Sorry buddy, I did not know about the legalities of sea grass. I should have known:smck:

Varga

I got groves on ebay for some super low price, they came fast and cheap and in perfect shape :)

framerguy

It turns out I have a friend who lives a mile from the ocean in florida. It is legal to harvest Mangrove propagules that are already floating in the water. You can't disturb the trees or the propagules on the trees, but the floating are fair game (he checked), so he is going to package some up and ship them to me!

I found the Gulf Coast Ecosystems site also and they seem to be an excellent source! Thanks all!!