when to change DI resin cartrage?

yankieman

Hi I have a question for those in the know , how far do you go with the TDS meter reading on the RO/DI unit ,, for example mine is right now reading 002 should i change it now or wait a bit longer ? I just changed the darn thing 2 weeks ago , I am going to start recharging my own , from here on out ,,,

BLAKEJOHN

001= exhausted Di

I had bad well water and had to change my Di every two weeks. And the color changinge stuff doesn't seem to last very long. Do yourself a favor and buy a refillable cartridge and a 7.5 lb bag ( or.six) from BRS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Change it, should be zero after DI.

My membrane gets changed out around 5ish ppm, DI changed out at 1 ppm. I'm very particular though.

yankieman

well I want to change it at 001 but damn at 18 bucks a pop and lasting 2 weeks that could get costy ,, now i got some in bulk and got the way to recharge the resin I will be more picky , but i did see on melevs reef site he said around 005 to change them , so i think ill go with 003 for now , thats pretty low on TDS

Is it possible your membrane needs to be replaced? I make 50-100 gallons per week and it stays at zero for 7-8 months.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Good point Brandon.......that seems quick to exhaust a DI cartridge........a bad membrane could be allowing a lot more crappy water to reach the DI canister.

How many gallons are you running in 2 weeks Yankie?

yankieman

thanks guys always great advice on here and getting great minds together your bound to come up with something

chipmunkofdoom2

Basically there are 3 stages of filtration on a RO/DI unit, the prefilters, the RO membrane, and the DI and it can be difficult to determine when to change what. Here's what I gathered from my research back in the day.

The prefilters should be changed out every 6 months to 12 months, depending on your water quality. These need to be changed on a timeline regardless of what your TDS is reading, because dirty prefilters allow larger particles through, meaning your RO membrane has to work overtime, exhausting it much earlier than it should be. RO membranes are expensive. Prefilters cost $20 for a set.

The RO membrane should remove 95%-98% of the TDS from your water source. To determine whether or not your membrane needs replacing, test the water right after it comes out of the membrane, but BEFORE it goes into the DI cartridges. Then, test your tap water. Divide the after-RO TDS by the tap water TDS. This should only be about 3%-5%. If it's any more, you should consider replacing your membrane. Bear in mind, to my knowledge this reduction is proportional.. if you have tap water at 25 TDS, after your RO membrane you should get around 2 TDS. If your tap water is around 400 TDS, you might be getting as high as 20 TDS after your RO membrane.. it's still the same 5%, it just looks a lot larger and will be harder on your DI. That's how the tech works, from my understanding. As long as it's around 5% or lower of your tap water, your membrane is fine.

If the water after the DI is above 0, your DI needs replacing, whether your membrane is fouled or not. I would also check your RO membrane output at this time to ensure that your membrane is still in good working order, but that's the general schedule you should follow.