when should I replace lights?

djpj001

Hello people,

I haven't post in a while b/c my tank has been up and running pretty good.

Currently I am using 4 VHO's ( 2 super white & 2 actinics){ 440 watts}
How can you tell the lights need to be replaced? I've had them for about 2 plus years and they're still going.

One more thing, do I need to replace the ballasts too???

Thx
DJPJ

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Without a meter there is no real way to tell for sure. I have read that the blue/actinic bulbs shift faster than say a 10k or 65k. I replace my T5 bulbs every 12-16 months or so. Keep an eye on your reef and be sure you take notice in lack of coral growth or even nusiance algae growth; either could be indications that new bulbs are needed.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Opps! Missed a question...

No, the ballast should be fine for years (until they quit).

Also, replace only two bulbs every 3-4 weeks when you do. The increased PAR output from the new bulbs will be quite dramatic and your corals need to slowly acclimate to them.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes 8-9 months is about right. The bulbs will "last/burn" much longer than that. What happens is that as the bulb age they "Spectrum" shifts ever so slightly and that's why the bulbs need replacing.

acer

I replace my aquasun VHO's every 9 months - but have left the Actinics on for up to 16 months thinking they would not shift as much. Lessons learned- I guess I will be buying some more VHO bulbs. Anybody have any suggestions were I can get them- 46.5 inch is what I use. My local stores sell them for over $40 each ( ouch!!) - so I will be ordering via the internet. Thanks.

lcstorc

Check out our sponsors. Many sell replacement bulbs and even with shipping they are less than buying at the LFS.