When should I replace bulbs on my 130D?

Hey guys how often do you change bulbs? I've had my latest ones for exactly 6 months. Is it time? I've also noticed an increase in red algae. Is this a sign of aging bulbs? Similar thing happened last time around where red algae was blooming until I changed the bulbs (coincidence???).

On a seperate note if the bulbs have nothing to do with the red algae, should I turn my lights off for a few days to kill the algae? Will that hurt coral/fish/inverts?

reefguy

Hey guys how often do you change bulbs? I've had my latest ones for exactly 6 months. Is it time? I've also noticed an increase in red algae. Is this a sign of aging bulbs? Similar thing happened last time around where red algae was blooming until I changed the bulbs (coincidence???).

On a seperate note if the bulbs have nothing to do with the red algae, should I turn my lights off for a few days to kill the algae? Will that hurt coral/fish/inverts?

First is it MH or T5? I don't know much about MH since I don't use them but I know with a good brand of T5 you can go for 8months.

The lights could be a factor but not always. How's ya flow? Do u have dead spots? I might not be the best for this topic since I have never really had an issue with red slime but figured I would give my input about the lights. If you turn down the photo period for a few days it might help. How long are your lights on? Mine are on for 7 hours a day and blues are on for 9. I would start by cutting the light down to 5 hours slowly and then go from there.

Jw how old is the tank?

theplantman

If they are MH, typically a good MH bulb will last 9 months, 12 max. Since you are only at 6 months, maybe you could try to get you hands on a par meter and test the light levels and see if they are still adequate for the corals and livestock you are keeping.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The factory RSM130D bulbs are a special "T5" from RSM. They aren't the same type of T5's that the rest of the aquarium world are accustomed to in fact they look and function as our normal PC bulbs but in fact do measure up as a T5 in dimensions.

6 months isn't OLD for a bulb but that doesn't mean there isn't something "out of whack" in the bulb. If in doubt change them out.

It wouldn't hurt to attack your problem from several fronts at the same time:

A) Evaluate your feeding regimen (too much, too often?)
B) Lighting Schedule
C) Flow in tank (dead spots)
D) Change your bulbs
E) Manual Removal daily of the red junk
F) Increased water change amount and frequency

Good luck :)

First is it MH or T5? I don't know much about MH since I don't use them but I know with a good brand of T5 you can go for 8months.

The lights could be a factor but not always. How's ya flow? Do u have dead spots? I might not be the best for this topic since I have never really had an issue with red slime but figured I would give my input about the lights. If you turn down the photo period for a few days it might help. How long are your lights on? Mine are on for 7 hours a day and blues are on for 9. I would start by cutting the light down to 5 hours slowly and then go from there.

Jw how old is the tank?

Sorry. They're T5's. I don't have additional flow and the red slime is on the right side of the tank which can be the problem. If so what do you recommend I get? My lights are on for 8 hours a day. And the tank is 9 months old.

The factory RSM130D bulbs are a special "T5" from RSM. They aren't the same type of T5's that the rest of the aquarium world are accustomed to in fact they look and function as our normal PC bulbs but in fact do measure up as a T5 in dimensions.

6 months isn't OLD for a bulb but that doesn't mean there isn't something "out of whack" in the bulb. If in doubt change them out.

It wouldn't hurt to attack your problem from several fronts at the same time:

A) Evaluate your feeding regimen (too much, too often?)
B) Lighting Schedule
C) Flow in tank (dead spots)
D) Change your bulbs
E) Manual Removal daily of the red junk
F) Increased water change amount and frequency

I do have factory RSM T5's.
A) I feed once a day and alternate between one cube of frozen mysis and brine shrimp on one day, and a pinch full of dry pellets one next day.
B) On for 8 hours
C) No additional flows installed. What do you recommend?

theplantman

Your stock pumps are 2 146gph pumps which mean you are turning the water over 8.5 times per hour. This is a little light IMO. Most people run at least 10x turnover or much more. A couple good powerhead options if you want to keep it simple are the following: (In order from least expensive to most expensive) The last 3 require controllers to adjust the flow rates. Hope this helps

Hydor Koralia Nano - 425gph at 4.5 watts
Tunze nanostream 6015 - 476gph at 3.5watts
Sicce Voyager 1 - 265-607gph at 8 watts
Tunze nanostream 6045 - 396-1188gph at 5-7watts
Eco Tech MP10 - 200-1575gph at 8-18watts

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm actually getting ready to order (maybe today even) that exact pump upgrade. Here are my suggestions:

A) That's a LOT of food for such a small tank each day.. maybe cut back some...
B) Look into additional flow... I'm running stock pumps + 1 Koralia Nano (behind rockwork) + 1 MP10 (possibly the best $$ I've spent on this tank to date)

I'm actually getting ready to order (maybe today even) that exact pump upgrade. Here are my suggestions:

A) That's a LOT of food for such a small tank each day.. maybe cut back some...
B) Look into additional flow... I'm running stock pumps + 1 Koralia Nano (behind rockwork) + 1 MP10 (possibly the best $$ I've spent on this tank to date)

So you're saying I just buy additional flow by adding a Koralia or MP10 in addition to the pump upgrade? I was hoping to have to do one or the other :) If you had to choose what would you do?

theplantman

Big Al,

Just out of curiosity, it appears that pump upgrade only increases flow by 28gph. Why would you do that when already running a koralia nano and mp10? Not criticizing, just curious about the benefits you are hoping to get other than running a little more water through the mechanical filtration.

Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So you're saying I just buy additional flow by adding a Koralia or MP10 in addition to the pump upgrade? I was hoping to have to do one or the other :) If you had to choose what would you do?
As noted below it's time to replace one of my pumps and the extra flow and better design are just a bonus.

If I could only do one thing and I wanted more flow I'd do the Vortech MP10 upgrade. It makes a HUGE difference in tank flow and it's fun to tinker with on top of that. When it's time to replace a pump do the upgrade then. You're getting a better pump, better design and TWO pumps all at the same time. Also don't go cheap on the replacement pumps. I got my last one at a "Discount Place Online" and it was junk. Of course I saved some $$ but really I lost $$ in the deal.

Big Al,

Just out of curiosity, it appears that pump upgrade only increases flow by 28gph. Why would you do that when already running a koralia nano and mp10? Not criticizing, just curious about the benefits you are hoping to get other than running a little more water through the mechanical filtration.

Thanks

No problem. I'm looking at the better design of the new upgrade and the extra flow doesn't hurt. It's about time to replace one of the pumps (it is getting noisy as it woke me up in the middle of the night last night) which pretty much made my mind up.

Also you have to understand I LOVE FLOW! I can't get enough and if I'm not splashing water out of the tank I don't have enough flow LOL!