When is it okay to add fish or livestock to a new tank?

NewburyNewbie

I have a new 80gallon tank with a 29g sump/refugium. I put around 40lbs of live sand and 40lbs of cured live rock in the tank nine days ago. I also added 20lbs of garf grunge six days ago. Yesterday, I added 25lbs of non-cured live rock. There is no heater yet. My 300W heater will arrive and will be turned on Sunday. No lights yet. How do I know it is safe to add livestock? Should I add snails and crab beforehand? Should I include shrimp and some sand shifters? Should I get a 2 or three chromis to test it out for a few days? I do have an engineer goby from my small 15gallon setup. I am trying to be patient but am itching to add some livestock.

NewburyNewbie

i forgot to add that nitrates and ammonia are zero, which is becuase there was no livestock othher than a few crabs in the grunge. I bought the initial 40lbs from someone that was selling cured live rock.

Corailline

Being patient is the only way to succeed in this hobby for both you and the livestock.

IMO only add any livestock after the cycle had completed. When you get 0 values for ammonia and nitrites. Once thoses values are reached in a number of weeks do a 20% water change, re-check the values in a couple of days and if everything looks good proceed with a small clean up crew (CUC).

Cycling with any live fish or inverts does not speed up the cycle and causes damage to the fish lungs as the ammonia level rises.

Congradulations on your new tank.

mark1234

the first week his levels will be fine,

you need to wait until you see your ammonia spike, then that ammonia will turn into nitrites which will then turn into nitrates, AFTER the ammonia spike and all the levels are 0 you can begin adding livestock.

NewburyNewbie

Tank has been running ten days. I added MicroLift Special Blend bacteria to the 125 gallons of salt water I purchased from the LFS. I am not sure if I even get an ammonia spike. I didn't check levels until the sixth day. Nitrate level was zero. I add 20lbs of additional live rock (uncured).

NewburyNewbie

Thansk for the links. I browsed it a bit. I forgot to mention that I had about four tiny snails that were in the garf grunge I used. I think they may have died off during the initial seven days of cycling. I should have checked levels in between. Hopefully, they helped accelerate my process.

My heater may arrive tomorrow. Would you suggest I start using the heater immediately? I was thinking of doing the 20% water change tomorrow. I'll be gone for three days. If levels are zero (or close to it for nitrates) when I get back, I was thinking about adding a few snails. Any other suggestions for the mini clean up crew? I have about five or six in the other tank so I don't have to go to LFS.

Why are hermit crabs not recommended? i thought they were part of most clean crew packages for sale? I have about fifteen various crabs in my small 15 gallon fish only tank.

I am in a similar situation. My tank ha only been up a few days as well. I know the urge is to get things in it. Resist as much as possible. Patience is the key to success. You may want to think about a quarantine tank at this point. That is where your first livestock will be for the 1st 4 weeks.

DanSReef

The best advice I had ever gotten from those who are successful at keeping reefs is ... “GO SLOW”. If you think you are going slow….go even slower. Some have suggested using a cocktail shrimp to forces an ammonia spike so that it can be converted to nitrite and then nitrate… This takes time and patience.
In the long run….you will be happy with the results. IMO there are few short cuts you should take when initiating a tank. I have in the past used other, quicker ways to get things going. Some months down the line…. I had wished I had gone slower.
Good Luck with your new tank. We look forward to seeing pictures…. Lots of pictures!!!

catran

+1^ You will be very successful if you take it as slow as possible. I know it's difficult, but I'm sure you will have an awesome tank if you do. Yes, take pics!! I'd love to have the room for an 80g!