What's With My Mag-Float?

Corvus

So for the last three or so days when I go to use my Mag-Float to clean my glass, the half on the outside of the tank is leaving all sorts of smudges that look like smeared finger-prints. I have cleaned the Mag-Float, left it wet, dried it off and tried it, and I still get the same result--all sorts of smears on the outside of the glass. Do I need to toss it and buy a new one?

Has anyone else experienced this "smeared phenomenon"?

Yep--a minor question for once!

C.

jesstabby

had the same thing and found it was just salt residue. When this happens I just spray the front of the tank with water and squeege the front and it is crystal clear. Hope that helps!

Oxylebius

I've had the same problem. My theory, either salt residue or the glue from the mag float decaying due to the all the salt it has been in contact with over the last three years. When it becomes a problem, I clean it off. Still using it. Haven't gotten to the point yet where I it has driven me to the point where I will get rid of it, though it is a matter of time....

Corvus

Thanks for the comments, guys. I have indeed rinsed it off and am letting it dry. Will also spray water on front and sides of tank. Perhaps I'll try one of those Piranha floats one day, too....

C.

frisbee

I think it's the glue. That black pad on the outside piece just gets worn out over time.

StirCrayzy

I've been using mine for about 10 yrs, just last year I put new felt on the outside half. Good as new.

It's from dragging over salt creep/fingerprints/dust etc.
I try to clean my outside glass before using it now.

On a side note, can't wait to get a Flipper.

sirrealism

I use a soft cloth on the outside under the mag and just leave it there. when ever it starts to get dirty or wet I just move to another spot on the cloth. The cloth I am using is kind of like a baby blanket. You know supper soft.

frisbee

I use a soft cloth on the outside under the mag and just leave it there. when ever it starts to get dirty or wet I just move to another spot on the cloth. The cloth I am using is kind of like a baby blanket. You know supper soft.

This is kind of what I did, only I'm using an old restaurant napkin that's been washed like a million & four times. It's extremely soft, but I usually dip it in the water first. It glides across that glass with ease.

Last edited: