Whats My Goniopora doing?

Curgan

Ive seen alot of growth in my Goni over the 6 months that ive had it, but ive never seen this happen before... it looks like a mini Goni is growing out of its side... anyone with experience with Goniopora know what its doing??? Heres a pic...

IMGP1248.jpg

jaybroreef

I Think You May Becoming A Father, Witch Is A Wonderful Feat With A Goni! Congrats, And I Sure Hope I Am Right!!!!!!

Curgan

If that is the case I would be super stoked.... This is my first shoot caring for one of these corals.... I would be a proud father indeed... I will keep a close eye on it and take pics if i see any growth from this spot and keep this thread posted... Maybe ill have a baby shower...

Curgan

If i do have a baby goni on the way, has anyone had this happen to them? if so im asking for advice on caring for the new member to the tank..

ReefLady

Staff member
I have no idea, but that is pretty cool ~ and a great picture. Keep us posted on growth.

framerguy

Truly, if that is new growth, and it certainly looks like it, then you are a miracle worker. Please tell us what you are doing as this may be in the top two or three most difficult corals to keep alive, much less propagate.

Curgan

Mini Update... i snapped a picture this morning when the goni was "sleeping" and you can definitely see a "bone" growth where it looks like the new growth is... check it out...
IMGP1251.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Great pictures!
I think it is not growing babies though. I doubt they re populate in that manner. They most likly are egg spawning corals. It looks more like it is just growing and getting ready to spread. This is still very cool and I congratulate you on keeping the correct water parameters for this species. Could you post all your stats and parameters for us to read over? Include salt, salinity, and temperature.

Curgan

Great pictures!
I think it is not growing babies though. I doubt they re populate in that manner. They most likly are egg spawning corals. It looks more like it is just growing and getting ready to spread. This is still very cool and I congratulate you on keeping the correct water parameters for this species. Could you post all your stats and parameters for us to read over? Include salt, salinity, and temperature.

I will test my current parameters tomorrow when i get some time... i know my nitrites =0 ammonia = 0 Nitrates are about 10ppm, Phosphates are .15, and temp is 78 F ill do a complete test tomorrow and post...

I am really excited to see what this Goniopora is doing, and Super stoked on its progress, this is my first one and im really glad its doing well...