What's all this floating in my water? Please Help!

Marvilis

This is my RSM250 1.5-2 months old. I have these particles floating all over the tank and I'm not sure what they are or how to get rid of them. I have heard they are sand particles, debris. or even a copepods going wild. The sand that I use is caribsea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink (0.5 - 5mm), the salt I use is Red Sea Coral Pro. I have tried using a polishing pad and replacing it every day but I still have the floaties! I've researched but I still haven't found a solution, I'm at my wits end. Does anyone know what they are or how I can get crystal clear water? Will this go away on it's own? Any advice is appreciated, Please help!!!

[video=youtube_share;Sy5ONIXAAMw]http://youtu.be/Sy5ONIXAAMw[/video]

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
All the searches I see... show CaribSea Bimini Pink - Grain Size 0.2 - 2.2 mm the smaller grains as sugar size & my guess as to what is suspending, this is 6 times smaller than say CaribSea Seafloor Reef Sand Grain size 1.25 - 2.0 mm

It may sort & settle over time as the tank matures & the sand get some debris & bateria in it. But if you happen to have any sand sifting fish... they could keep it stirred up

Try pointing one nozzle up & creating a small surface ripple & the other try to bounce the flow off the glass, this may help.

Marvilis

No sump, right now I'm using a coralife fine filter pad Coralife Pure-Flo Micron Filter Pads, thats not doing the trick either.

I decided to get the RSM250 cause I liked the looks and the idea of AIO but now I'm starting to regret getting this thing. The skimmer had been a nightmare to get it under control, but I do get some skimmate. I have followed all the advice on the skimmer given here and that's helped a ton!

I just can't seem to get rid of the floaties! Sucks! it's driving me crazy...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If it bothers you too much... try a larger grain of sand... pretty easy & not to expensive to change out - hope this helps :dance:

Marvilis

Arag-Alive! Bimini pink is supposed to be .5 - 5 mm, I do have a orange spotted goby that sifts through that sand but when he's sifting the sand drops right to the bottom doesn't go all over.

My left nozzle is point up and the right one has lot some flow since it's connected to a chiller.

Marvilis

Here are some pics of my sand bed, as you can see its really not fine.
ehupugav.jpg

uhuneju5.jpg

uju2y2um.jpg

Marvilis

I really wish I could blame it on the goby but this was happening before I got the little guy.

If its sand particles floating around hopefully with regular water changes it will go away. Thanks for the input.

Wretched

I've had this problem was a mix of water flow found a sweet spot in the tank and picked the sand up and it was circulating through the filtration. Also on top of that my skimmer was creating micro bubbles being so close to my return. AIO tanks are known to have issues with this. Resolution for me, adjust flow and skimmer. Now? Crystal clear water.

Marvilis

I've had this problem was a mix of water flow found a sweet spot in the tank and picked the sand up and it was circulating through the filtration. Also on top of that my skimmer was creating micro bubbles being so close to my return. AIO tanks are known to have issues with this. Resolution for me, adjust flow and skimmer. Now? Crystal clear water.

How did you adjust the flow?

letsmod

I have the same sand as you I put fan heads on the Left and right output nozzles and my sand is no longer moving all over the tank