What would you do?

What to do?

• Send livestock back.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Warnberg

You place a order for something (live stock) online yet you receive something else.
What would you do?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Since you specify "livestock" and considering how expensive shipping is, I would keep the livestock and complain to the company.

Warnberg

you know what my next question is going to be right? What if it is something that will or is destroying your reef?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yikes! I would weigh the options of shipping it back versus a trade in to the LFS... 1st concern would be its well being, 2nd would be cost out of my pocket/lack of reimbursement from the online retailer.

BoomerD

If it was something I didn't want, then I'd probably house it in the sump, and demand they reship the right order at THEIR cost, and either provide return shipping for the mis-shipped animal, or, if they said to keep it, then trade it in at the LFS...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Chances of stock living thru second shipping is poor,so Ive kept inapropriate things before mainly from a respect for the creature involved even to the point of getting another tank(like I need an excuse for that) my online guys are really good at bucking up, the problem I have is buying anything sight unseen, actually suggested they get a mobile web cam.

BrothaWolf

Hehe I wonder where this thread got started from... If it were 2 $3 snails with hitchhiking crabs inside I would just pitch em... If it was a peppermint shrimp that was eating my yellow polyps I would rope him up and see if the LFS will trade me for something more reef friendly and then I would think twice about using the supplier again. Pain in the neck to ship it back I wouldnt want it to die in transit. Wasnt even worth calling them and getting aggravated. I shoulda known when they called me the first time to say they were out of one item on my list and then called me back 5 mins later to tell me they were outta something else...:bugout:

blue_eyes53813

Did they substitute this livestock for something that was sold out possibly?

And if so, they should of asked you first I guess, if its no good to you or not reef safe you wouldnt of ordered it in the first place.Are you missing something from your order?

Warnberg

Well actually when this happened to me I ordered 2 Diamond Goby's, I got 1 Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby and another unknown one. Actually Woodstock id'd the fish for me one time but dont remember what it was.

BoomerD

Then contact the supplier and insist they replace them with what you actually ordered. BIG difference between the diamond gobies and sleeper gobies. They won't actually destroy your reef however. While their digging in the sandbed for the life that makes live sand "live" isn't desirable, nor is the spitting sand everywhere, the actual damage is usually minimal.

Warnberg

Oh I contacted them..... but we won't get into that here, it wasn't pleasant... Let me just warn everyone, read read read ALL fine print...

Gina

RS STAFF
So, I take it they won't correct a problem that they began?
Not a good way to do business!
Will your lfs trade you?

Cartman89

Well I voted other. If a livestock came with my live rock I would first see if it is compatible with my other creatures in my tank. If it wasn't I would send it back. If it was...I would break through the walls and say "Oh YEAH!".

Warnberg

Gina, I have given up. I will not order from them any longer. The fish are now in my tank and doing fine. The Yellow Headed Sleeper does make a bit of a mess but it seems to be doing fine. I'll just bite the bullet on this one and chalk it up as lesson learned.

Here is the link to the other thread..... the pic is one of the supposed "Diamond Gobies" I got....

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-hitchhiker-id/8868-fish-id.html?highlight=Warnberg

By the way, like I said "READ THE FINE PRINT" there are some online retailers out there that state "if not in stock, may be substituted for a like species"

Last edited:

lcstorc

Glad to hear it is sort of working out at least. That really stinks. Who defines 'like species'? If they were out of whatever I ordered I would seriously expect a phone call or email asking is I wanted the substitute or to wait till the fish I ordered was in-stock. That is just not the way to do good business. Sorry to hear of your aggrivation.

Witfull

i think the name of this vendor should be made public for all to know what can happen. it wont be a maliciaous thing, just statement of fact. personally, i wouls NEVER want a "like species" substituted. i want what i want, not a grab bag this is close to what i wanted. if i order a flame angel, thats what i want, not a bi-color that will prolly die. they are "like species".

Frankie

RS STAFF
I voted for other for two reasons: i didn't know what i was voting for, ( It should say so above the link and thread the reason for the vote) and two: after reading why i voted its a topic i don't do. Buy online. Online buying is not to swift IMO. Yeah its cool for that hard to get dry good but i would never buy an animal without seeing it in person and its habits.