What would be the idel fish list in a 120

reefs reefs

I have a 120 gallon reef tank water is great. A 100 gallon Rubbermaid refgu. and then that leads to a 305 gallon water filtration a skimmer. So far i have the following.
2 maroon clown fish
1 bartlet athn.
1 lawmower blenny
1 maderain goby
1 watchman goby

I would love to have to tangs but no sure what would go good together any suggestions

reef dummy

I don't know about an ideal fish list but here is what I have in my 120; 1 Anthia, 1 Hippo tang, 4 Bengaii cardinals, 1 Mandarin, 1 Black Ocellaris. Oh, and lots of critters.

lcstorc

If you are looking for a tang I would look at one of the smaller species such as a Tomini or Kole tang. They are wonderful fish and won't crowd the tank as much as some of the big guys. Great algae eaters as well.

razorvines

This is the livestock I have in my 125 Tall.

6 perc clown fish
1 blue hippo
1 yellow tang
1 lawmower blenny
1 maderain goby
1 watchman goby
1 coral banded shrimp

Soon I am going to get down to 2 clowns then add a flame angel and a purple tang.

razorvines

Sorry I had to go back to Atlanta for my wife's grandfather's funeral, so I haven't been online at all.
Well firstly all of the clowns came together. I bought a 75 gallon tank from a lady and she had rescued them. So all of them were in the 75 together. I decided to put them in the 125. There is a definite pecking order and one is always chasing another, but they are okay. It was really only temporary and only put them in because they were already together. I will probably selling most of them this week. I just haven't had time to list them anywhere.

MotoReef

I have a 120 gallon reef tank water is great. A 100 gallon Rubbermaid refgu. and then that leads to a 305 gallon water filtration a skimmer. So far i have the following.
2 maroon clown fish
1 bartlet athn.
1 lawmower blenny
1 maderain goby
1 watchman goby

I would love to have to tangs but no sure what would go good together any suggestions

Well it looks like the only possible threat of aggression in your population is the two clownfish, especially if they are protective of a certain rock section or an anemone/corals to which they are hosted.

It's ALWAYS a risk adding more fish in terms of mental state or behavior of fish in a reef system than of any water parameters or disease, latter items which can be controlled much more easily by equipment, chemicals and routine care.

Having said that, its not always impossible to not have any issues. And many of us are quite successful in common combination of fish from known characters and guidelines. Some of us are even successful keeping the "impossible" combos in our tanks, either from flukes and luck or determination and serious tending of these fish with total attention.

Now, clown fish, unless they are huge full grown variety of 3+ inch sizes can be manageable most of the time. Most fish will get a clue about not lurking about in sections of the tank where thy can freak out and stay out of their zones.

Tangs can vary in temperament from very docile ones to extremely aggressive. Most often they become belligerent after they've acclimated and are comfortable, and to new tank mates they are not familiar. This means that you should go with the rule that tangs for the most part, should be added LAST to the community tank. So yes, if you are pretty comfortable that you won't be adding delicate or similar fish AFTER this tang, then you might give it a try.

Be forewarned though, that tangs possess 2 or 4 'blades' on their tail stems and can inflict a pretty bad injury to another fish if distressed or very hostile. So keep an eye on the new tang for a few hours and as often as possible in the first few days.

I've always suggested that possible problem fish, should always be bought from a local dealer who will take it back if there is an issue. Aggression of belligerant tangs such as Naso, Purple Red Sea, Sohal, Powder Blue, and others can be extreme and can become a issue that can only be solved by isolation or removal from the tank. Juviniles that are about 2" are the best bet in introducing to a tank with other community fish. Usually much more safer and less agressive than more larger, established fish. (older they get, the more territorial and stubbornly aggressive to fish they decide they don't like)

Blue Hippo tangs, though very costly these days due to the certain Disney movie(?), is one variety that I seldom had any issues. They are usually not territorial like most other tangs, and are hardy once they have acclimated as far as tangs. But try to avoid the 1" babies that are common these days. Excessively small, young, tangs lack immunity to stress and diseases are are often lost simply to water parameters or parasites. I don't know why they come in so small these days but perhaps the popularity of ultra-nano 12 gallon reef systems might be one cause for the demand for the tiny baby tangs.

I have a Purple Tang that has a whole 60 gallon tank to himself, and he's one of the most hardy and interactive fish I have. They learn to give keen interest to observers around the tank, and feed well. Probably are almost as people-friendly as puffers and triggers who interact with owners so well.

Have fun!