what to do with a 24 gallon nano

I need some ideas......

I switched my reef to a bigger 95 gallon tank but i still have my 24 set up and running.

I dont want to just leave it as a quarintine or something, i wanna do something unique with it. Maybe one really cool fish that lives by itself, or an invert....i dunno i cant think of anything.

Anyone have any cool ideas?

goldenmean

Mantis tank!

Or turn it into a zoanthid or ricordia garden.

Or do both! Zoas and a Mantis.

Which room is the nano in?
I have a 12g in my bedroom.

i like the idea of a lion fish! that could be fun.
are they compatable with any corals at all or will they eat pretty much everything?

Also I dont know anything about mantis's except that they have to pretty much be kept alone, are they reef safe? how big do they get? do they hide a lot?

i want something to look at ya know, right now it looks so empty and depressing!!

zy112

It would pry be ok but I dont know if I'd put a Lion in that small of a tank. Most get fairly decent size. I think it would be cool to do a specific region reef and try to replicate that. Like a gulf reef or indo pacific...ya get the point. good luck though sounds like a fun project whichever way you go

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like mantis shrimp but they hide too much for my liking. One of my favorite "Critters" (Purple Lobster) hides except when he smells a piece of fresh shrimp near his "lair". That's how mantis are or at least the couple I've seen. Mostly hiding unless no one is there to watch them :lol:

A lionfish would be SWEET except for the limitations to the tank size. I don't know off the top of my head how large a dwarf gets but I think it's still MORE than a 24g can handle plus they are MESSY! When they eat it's a large portion and we ALL knows what goes in must come out. Most animals only retain about 10% of what they eat. That means that approximately 90% of that fish it gulped down will be back out in a few days slightly "processed". That's a LOT of poop for a 24g to process. They do have the "COOL" factor going on though.

BEELZEBOB

MANTIS SHRIMPS RULE BRA! ALS BLOWIN SMOKE! ACTIVITY IS ENTIRELY SPECIES SPECIFIC!!!! BUNG!

this is my last attempt to be informative... theres a couple pics of mr Bane and my totally awsome tank, check my gallery for more...

Stomatopods. Gods most effective killing machines.

Y’all know these guys as mantis shrimp.

You know, the weird lil inverts that look like the result of praying mantis taking advantage of an inebriated rock lobster?

Now, when it comes to mantis shrimp, they are most commonly known as the last possible thing that you would ever want in a reef tank. Its every reefers nightmare to have a hitch-hiker in their LR that will slowly eradicate every living creature in the tank. :bouncebox :guns: :bouncebox

Common belief, but not necessarily true. Very understandable, especially being that some fish and inverts can cost the hobbyist hundreds of dollars. :drool:

This is actually how I first got wind of the whole “mantis tank idea.”
I first learned of these little critters existence from the discovery channel. It was a special on marine predators chock full of mantis shrimp footage from the wild and, the labs of the infamous, genius, studly stud known as Dr. Roy Cauldwell (formal introduction later.)

I was intrigued to say the least. But like most animals that id ever consider keeping, it seemed out of reach, cruel, and not possible.
Now lets flash forward like 18 months. I had a 75 gal brackish tank and questions. Low and behold I discover AC, RS, RC, RF, SWF, DARC, RMRC, and many other online forums. (all of which I have shoed myself in as like, a resident. :D)

Any-who, I’m messing around one day and I see somebody’s rant about their triumph over this evil 4 inches of critter that they tortured alive before putting in bleach.

Now, said individual lost a great deal of livestock to a spearer mantis. Like $500.00 plus. He added 35 lbs LR to his existing set up. Needless to say, it came with a HH mantis.

So immediately after the hippie in me lashed out at this guy and I was “removed” :wit: from that specific forum, all I had were questions.

Like whoa, you can find these things? Where? Can they be kept? What do I need? Where do I get one? Ohh man I was excited.:p

So this is like July 06. From that point forward it was all research baby!!!! :read:

And by Nov. I had a tank w/ water, 28lbs LR and sand. And now a year and a half from the initial inspiration, I have a full blown mantis reef tank.:whstlr:
mantistank.jpg
bane.jpg

BUT, on almost a daily basis, I am seeing many people confused, or simply misinformed about these lil critters. SOOOOOOOOOOOO here is BOBs most commonly asked questions about mantis shrimp.

1.Can my mantis shrimp break glass?

That Depends.
There are two types of mantis shrimp. Spearers and smashers. The raptorial appendage on speares looks like the arm of a praying mantis on steroids. This flashes out faster than you can blink and does a substantial amount of damage.

On smasheres, the rapitorial appendage is like a club that smashes the exoskeleton or shell of their pray. (this is also the fastest movement of any living organism.

Check this out.
YouTube - Sheila Patek: Measuring the fastest animal on earth

But back to the original question Out of the hundreds of species of mantis, there are only a few species that get large enough to do so. These are ; Odontodactylus scyllarus, Gonodactylaceus ternatensis, Gonodactylaceus graphurus, Gonodactylaceus chiragra and Hemisquilla californiensis.

2.Can I keep fish and other creatures in the same tank?

Again, that’s like adult diapers, it depends. :invisible
See you have to take into account that spearer mantis shrimp eat fish and mobile inverts like shrimp and crabs. Smashers Focus on consuming snails, hermits, clams and other small crustations and gastropods. But this is not to say a spearer wont kill a snail, and a smasher wont kill a fish.
Mantis’ are very personable.
Each individual mantis has its own specific and unique lil personality. Some are wusses, strait up. Wont eat or kill nuthin that isn’t fed to them, hide in their rock or borough all day and tolerate every living creature in their tank.

Others will simply be mean and aggressive. They will kill anything that moves, even if just for sport. Then there is everything in between. So really, there is no way to say for sure you can keep this with these mantis’ and these with those.

So my suggestion would be to not get the mantis fish shrimp and other critters all at the same time. Rather get the mantis in his nice new fully cycled home, and add things slowly to see what it does.

Also keep in mind that manually feeding a mantis will reduce their motivation to go kill stuff. They’re kinda like people. If you train it to get fat and eat dead food for free, it wont leave its “couch.”

Or if you want it to be aggressive, don’t feed much, and provide ample amounts of live food.

3.Can I keep corals with a mantis shrimp?

Well for the most part, Darn tootin!!!!
Especially if its an intertidal species, they can handle all the light you need for corals. Some deepwater species of mantis will be an exception, because too much light can lead to shell disease and other complications.
It is best to “glue you colonies down to avoid them slipping falling, or being moved by the mantis. But in my personal experience, my turbo snail does more damage to my aquascaping then my mantis.

4.Can I keep more than one in the same tank?
99% no.
The one exception is a mated pair of Lysiosquillina maculate (which is rare and require a specialized tank…), or some uber rare exception. For the most part though 2 mantises in one is gonna be a battledome.

5.What do I feed this thing?
Meat. :D
well as far as frozens go; For all mantis shrimp, krill, mysis, silversides, brine, deli shrimp, and squid.
Live food for a spearer wood be like damsels, ghost shrimp (SW only), other shrimp, and maybe a small crab.
Smashers will like the shrimps, hermits, mythrax crabs, snails, and even fish.

5b Can I feed a mantis FW feeders?
Absolutely positively not.

6.Who was that Dr, Roy Guy?
Glad you asked.
Member Research Profile
Dr. Roy L. Caldwell is a Stomatopodiatrist, and has been researching these lil critters for like more than 30 years. He heads the Mantis shrimp forum on RC. Reef Central Online Community - Mantis Shrimp
Its very nice to get personal attention from someone with the amount of knowledge this guy has.

7.How do I tell what type of mantis I want/ already have?
Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

8* Great. How do I get the POS out of my super expensive reef tank with thousands of dollars of fish?
Well, pest traps work very well, like the ones you can buy, or convince Doni from RS to loan you. Also a simple L-shaped piece of PVC with an endcap and food in one end works well, if you have the patience to watch it.

9 .I don’t have one, but want one, where do I get it.
Distributor of Mantis Shrimp, Corals, and other Invertebrates Also, when searching for a specific species, call all LFS in a 3 state radius, craigslist, and marine forums. You never know when youll want another reefers trash!!

ALSO!!!!!!! I cant think of everything y’all wonder/need to know. So like just ask. If I don’t know the answer off hand, I can show you where to find it.!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
how do you go about acclimating a mantis.....

how do you get him into the tank without losing a finger?

Very carefully :lol:

The only one I've seen NOT in a tank was literally netted into a Styrofoam cooler filled with tank water and then netted into the home tank. Acclimation took about 1/2 milliseconds. Not sure that's the "Right" way to do it but I have seen it done (with success) that way :)