what the heck are these

crespeto

any ideas what the heck this stuff is. There is some kind of little tree looking algae, stick with a poof on top.

Then something growing of a bunch of the rock in the tank. It is a little base kind of redish then a stick coming out of the middle.

Then I think it is a really small christmas tree worm?

Attachments

• IMG_6208.JPG
    IMG_6208.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6187.JPG
    IMG_6187.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6186.JPG
    IMG_6186.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6183.JPG
    IMG_6183.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 103

Ssullivan

cover them with super glue gel that should work, or boiling water in a turkey baster. i googled stuff that ate hydroids and it said something about nidies that ate them but no species names, also i read that sometimes peppermint shrimp eat them but i guess its real hit or miss with them. hope that helps

seafansar

You also might want to put gel over the vermitid snails too if there's only a few. They can take off and while they don't really hurt your coral they can really tear up your hands if you touch the liverock. They've made me bleed several times.

crespeto

The 'hydroids' look and grow alot more like an algae, growing in a couple areas on some of the rock. They don't look much like any of the other pics I could find of hydroids. Is there an algae that grows kind of like that or for sure they are Hydroids. Thanks.

seafansar

Pretty sure they are hydroids. One way you can check is to touch them. Hydroids will pull in the little tuffs on top, while algae will not change.

crespeto

yeah they are hydroids, I took a long skewer and flapped it around and on them and the tightened up. Ahhh well guess I'll be boiling some water tonight. Thanks everyone for the info. Bummer there aren't more things that eat this kind of stuff. They are kind of cool looking so I wouldn't mind having them as long as I could add something to the biosphere that would help keep them in check.