What Temperature Do You Keep Your Tank At ?

Leo

I second the above and that's a small tank. 1/10th power chiller is more than enough. I have the JBJ Arctica series. Had it for years. Works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leo

Mine is the 3/4. Way to big for my Red Sea 250. I used to have a 125 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. At least now it takes only a few minutes to cool it down. And I wasn't about to spend several hundred on a new one. There's nothing wrong with a used one. Lots of them out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

It all depends on the corals you have. Some corals come from deep water (e.g. deepwater acros) and other corals are used to shallow lagoons (e.g. gorgonians) and then there is everything in between.

Lagoons can get quite warm at 81-84 degrees while deep water can get into the low 70s and colder.

And then there is also seasonal variability
Winter months (approx. December-March): 78-80 degrees F. / 25-26 degrees C.
Summer months (approx. April-November): 81- 84 degrees F. / 27-29 degrees C.

What this means for us with corals in our tanks?
Most people keep tanks between 78-81 degrees w/o issue. Luckily some corals are tolerant of temperature ranges and can acclimate to a variety of water temperatures (within reason). And if you had picked up a frag from a coral that is already living healthily in an aquarium, then most likely you shouldn't have any issue with it in the 78-81 range. One thing to note though, anything above 82 degrees is pushing the limits of heat tolerance for some corals and you are risking a bleaching event.

I've been lucky enough to dive in 8 different locations in the tropics (Pacific, Caribbean, FL Keys) and with every location the surface of the water is nice and warm (~80 degrees) and when diving at deeper ~60-75 feet, the water is noticeably cooler dropping into the low 70s and all along the way I saw different species of corals.

So, if you are really concerned about temperature, do more research on the coral you have in your tank and find out what it's preferred temp ranges are.

Alternatively, temperatures between 78-81 degrees should be fine.

Avoid temperature swings in a 24 hour period. Consistency of temperature goes a long way in keep corals alive.

Jared410

Great answer. Thanks. Mine was hanging out at 81, with fluctuations to 82. Rigged up an old stereo cooking fan up an now the tanks been 79 to 80. I think tomorrow I will make it a little more solid and see how it does the rest of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talon33

My tank runs around 75-76 with no heater or chiller. Seems like mag runs pretty warm which I am fine with. Less power consumption and no chance of a heater failure. Everything seems happy. When I get an apex I may go ahead and run a heater and just tell the apex to shut the heater off if the temp were to get too warm.

Jared410

I contacted Red Sea about it. I stated that it was working around the 81-82 range and their reply was that was normal operation. I am guessing Red Sea presumes 81-82 is Reef Spec. With my added fan i built i am now right around 80. I think that will work for starting some corals. I will just try and make sure they are the ones that like the warmer water.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you haven't read this... it's a great read... IMO 81-82 range is fine...

http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

a couple of extracts...

The most rapid growth of most corals is generally around 27°C to 29°C (80.6°F to 84.2°F)

In 1999, Kleypas, and her coworkers, published data on coral reef temperatures (Table 1) (Kleypas, et al, 1999). They examined and summarized published data taken from separate measurements on over 1000 different coral reefs. It is worth remembering that these data were gathered prior to the recent increase in temperatures attributable to global warming and probably reflect more-or-less “normal” conditions for the last couple of centuries. The data in the average column are probably the most pertinent. The average temperature calculated for all 1000 + coral reefs was 81.7°F. Over all reefs, the average lowest temperature observed was 76.4°F, and the average highest temperature was 86.4°F. One way that these data could be interpreted would be to say that for most corals and coral reef animals, the best conditions would be between 76°F and 86°F, with the average being about 82°F.

Now that I have changed out my T5's to LEDs I am running 79-80 F , but for over 6 years now my corals have thrived at 81-83F

Adrienne

Mine is kept at 25 - 27 and today, 2 days into Spring my chiller has been kicking on and off nearly all day, even this evening.

Talon33

I think you are as well running temps into the lows 80. Warmer temps means faster metabolic rates for all life forms. I am sure I would see much better coral growth if I bumped my temp up. May have to devise a little personal experiment on my coral growth and temp. If I can keep all other variables the same that is.

Would you have to replace snails and other CUC inverts more frequently??:ponder2: 8 degrees or so can make a huge difference in the metabolic rate of ectothermic invertebrates assuming they are ectothermic!

Trinhy

Before I got a chiller for my RSM250 my tank was running at 28.5c/83f now the chiller keeps it between 25c/77f-26c/78f. Everything seemed quite happy at the higher temp but spring hadn't even started yet and I didn't want to see what the temperature would get to in Summer! The tank runs so warm im not even sure the heater ever turns on.