• Bare bottom

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • Crushed Coral

Votes: 21 12.9%
  • Caribbean Sand (Southdown, etc...)

Votes: 100 61.3%
  • Black Sand

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other (let us know what with a comment below...)

Votes: 23 14.1%

• Total voters

deanerk

I chose other. I have a 4-5" silica sand DSB. Started with crushed coral and switch a little over a year ago I think. Working great so far!

Mary

Evil Angel
I added aragonite and about 20lbs of LS from the Trop for my 75 when I first set it up. It has about a 2 - 3 inch SB. Since then I was able to find SD and have about 8 bags in my basement sitting and waiting to go into a larger reef tank in the near future.

Cosmic

I have a mixed 4" bed of several substrates added over the years. If I had to break it down, I'd say:

50% Caribsea aragonite sand
15% Florida Live Sand
15% caribsea fine Live sand
10% finely crushed dolomite
5% Crushed Coral
5% conchilla shells crushed

DuhJeepster

I will be converting my 55g from a DSB to white Starboard in the next month or so. I think I might also consider putting black Starboard in my 5.5g nano. I'm with you Maxx! I love that clean look.

:)

SaltyQueen

I will be setting up a newer tank next year or so, & I'm thinking about going with starboard (plastic cutting bosrd material). Maxx has a link in one of his posts to a site that sells it in different colors & they'll custom cut it for you.

SZHTTM

I voted for Carribean because use Florida Keys sand; and Florida is considered to be in the Carribean...

Good Luck;
:thumbup:

Barcochris

I have a BB (starboard) If people are looking for it look on e-bay if you do not see the size you need just ask I got a piece 60 x 18 for like $35 delivered not to bad, and I love the way it looks right now.

wickjr

Aragonite reef grade sand. It's a mixture of different grain sizes with tiny shells mixed in. Caribsea makes it. About 2.5-3 inches deep is all. Lots of worms and critters live in it, so I am pretty confident it is stirred and aerated well. There is also some LR ruble that I crushed and mixed in with the sand bed. I also put some of the rubble around the base of the reef. I like the natural look it gives. I'd post a picture if I could figure out how to compress it enoght to do so.

cracker

I use calcium based sand mined here in Florida. It's used for sandtraps at golf courses and in the construction trade. I have used silica based builders sand in the past with no problems.

Reefstick

I mixed it up a little this time, I don't yet if I like it though.
1/3 crushed coral & 2/3 Caribbean Sand (Pink Fiji)