What should i use

Badinfo

My calcium is a little under 400 and I have sps and ph is 7.8 so I'm guess alkalinity is low. What should i use to raise calcium and alk. I'm not sure on the magnesium. What ever I can do to get good coral growth. What do u recommend. I have a 24 gal nano.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
My calcium is a little under 400 and I have sps and ph is 7.8 so I'm guess alkalinity is low. What should i use to raise calcium and alk. I'm not sure on the magnesium. What ever I can do to get good coral growth. What do u recommend. I have a 24 gal nano.

Get a good test kit buddy. Too much of a good things worse than too little.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

Robzilla

+1 ^ But if you have to dose, B-Ionic is great. Use a high quality test kit like Salifert. They arent expensive and last quite a while. Accurate results too!

bshady

I do regular bi-weekly water changes and still dose trace elements and amino acids. I would only dose if your tank has a high volume of corals

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Check out seachem marine buffer. I've gotta really recommend it. I hold ph at 8.3. That helps all other levels. N I have a 220 n do 10 gal waterchanges a week. New salt helps. Good luck!

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

DesertOrchid

Try water changes Badinfo first before you start dosing. A stable enviroment is better than a 'perfect number' enviroment.

catran

I agree with DesertOrchid! Dosing is a slippery slope sometimes. It has to be monitored very frequently. I tried to dose a while back and while I as able to raise my calcium, my alk skyrocketed! I ended up doing several w/c's to stablize everything! Have you tested your water after you mix your salt and before you add it to the tank?

Robzilla

Make water changes a way of life! I do good bi-weekly changes to remove crud in the tank and keep elements stable.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How often and how MUCH each time do you do water changes?

5 frags and 7 polyps is a lot if it's a 5 gallon PICO tank but if it's a 120 gallon system that's not even started stocking yet.

If you do NOT test for it.. do NOT dose for it. That would be like every time you stop for gas adding a quart of oil to the motor. First time maybe ok. Second time.. maybe ok... Third, fourth and fifth NOT ok and before long you have serious "internal" engine problems. There is such as TOO much of a good thing! It's in our nature to nurture and try to provide the very best conditions we can for our tanks but with good "basic" husbandry (water changes and testing) comes fairly ease of life for the most part. Heck I have 2-part Bionic that's over 3 years old now that I'll GIVE to someone. Water Changes with a quality salt mix is key to avoiding and solving a plethora of the problems we have in Salt Water tanks.

Badinfo

I buy my water from lfs and he uses instant ocean. I do water changes biweekly (25%). And I do test my water before the water change. So maybe that's why everything would be low? I still need to get a test kit. So I test at lfs. Thanks for all the info

24g tank, Kalk!

Mix it up in your top off water and it will boost your numbers, and the best part, VERY economically.

Now to remember about dosing things, They are "salts" so lets pretend you never do a water change your salinity would very Slowly increase over time. WC help regulate this into normal params.

I use mrs wages pickling lime, its like 3$ and has lasted me a few months+ and I gave some away to another reefer too.