What precautions do YOU take when inside your tank?

Jess

Just wondering what things people do to "prepare" themselves for going in the tank? ie: gloves, etc..

Jess

What kind of gloves? Do you do anything to the gloves first or just dive right in? (curious if the powdery kind affects anything in the tank)

Dragonne

Coralife Aqua Gloves (Shoulder Length Protective Gloves) if I'm doing anything more than a quick in/out to replace a fallen coral or something.

lcstorc

The shoulder length gloves are the best but I usually use the heavy duty kitchen gloves. They don't keep the water away from me but at least protect from sharp rocks and bristle worms etc.
I do not keep zoas. If I were to handle those, I would take greater precautions such as eye protection.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I once got a pretty nasty infection from handling rock. I have heavy duty kitchen gloves too.

When I keep maroon clowns, I also wear a shiny bracelet so the female will bite that.

Jeremy0322

For a while there I didnt wear any gloves, but once I got a bunch of zoas I wear them when im in the tank MOST of the time, there are sometimes that I will pop in and out but only if its very quick and the gloves are really far away from me (im lazy like that haha). The best bet is to not go in the tank as much as possible though, I am looking into buying a few utensils or tools I guess, and already have a few, that keep my hands away from my water as much as possible. There is so much stuff that can get on your hands that wont really effect you, but once in the tank water can really do some damage, too many chemicals around these days, doesnt seem worth the risk to me.

ReefLady

Staff member
I never wore gloves in the tank for the same reason I never wear gloves when diving. IMO/IME, it makes you less cautious and less aware of what you might bump or damage.
Yes, I've got bristle worms spines in my finger a couple times, and yes, it hurts, but that's a couple times vs putting my hands in tanks *thousands* of times, and mostly due to the fact that I was careless.
You do need to wash well with warm soapy water to get all the SW/bacteria off your skin. Some people are more sensitive than others.
IMO, zo's are not dangerous in the tank water - the only time you really need to take precautions is when you are cutting/fragging them.
JMO

lcstorc

To some extent it depends on how sensitive you are to most things.
My husband has many allergies in general and he is much more likely to have a reaction to something in the tank.
Many people get away with going in the tank for years and never have anything happen or like Teri only have the occasional bristlem worm annoyance. There are however some serious possibilities you should be aware of. If for no other reason but to know such things can happen and help identify if something does.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ssion/1285-reefkeeping-dangers.html#post18157

michael_cb_125

I am not saying that everyone should do as I.

I have very tough hands and most things do not irritate me. I have picked up many bristle worms, and never been stung. But like I said, my hand are pretty rough.

~Michael

lcstorc

It's not the bristle worms that scare me Michael. That is just an annoyance for most. It is the infections and reactions that worry me.
I am on tank restriction as we speak since I have a cut on my hand. There are too many things I could get from the tank or the tank could get from me particularly with an open wound no matter how small.
That is why I use the gloves when moving things around. I am most likely to cut myself doing that which could turn into a bad situation.
You really have to evaluate the risk individually. Frank needs to be extra cautious since he is allergic to so many things. There is a much better chance of him having a large reaction to something he touches etc than I do.
Many people put their hands in their reefs for years and years without a problem.
I just believe people should be aware of the dangers so they can evaluate what level of risk they are willing to take.

faust

right now i have a fist size reaction on my forearm. i believe my rbta caused it. since it was the only thing touching my fore arm.