What Next - Equipment Ideas?

jrf1175

Hey All,

Happy Thanksgiving to my american friends for startes :wave:

I have been doing some thinking about what I should do for my next peice of equipment to better my reef?

You can see my build log in my signature for more detials, but to keep it simple I have about 120gal in my total system, 90g DT. Running a Euro Reef RS100 now, and no Calc Reactor.

I am wondering if I should upgrade my skimmer - thinking ATI BUbble Master 160, or get a calcium reactor - looking at the Tunze Turbo 3170 Calcium Reactor because I like the small footprint and I am restricted on space. Any experience with this reactor?

What is the best decision here?

Thoughts and comment or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and enjoy your holdiday:whstlr:

Cheers

Frankie

RS STAFF
It all depends on you need for ca++. If the demand is minor i would opt for the new skimmer. I really like the bubble masters also!
I just googled that skimmer you have and it looks to be well made. Do you have that sedra pump on it? If so i would run with that and go for a chiller. A lot of people think high temperatures are the reason for getting a chiller but i see it as keeping the temperature stable. A must have for a stable reef enviroment.

jrf1175

It all depends on you need for ca++. If the demand is minor i would opt for the new skimmer. I really like the bubble masters also!
I just googled that skimmer you have and it looks to be well made. Do you have that sedra pump on it? If so i would run with that and go for a chiller. A lot of people think high temperatures are the reason for getting a chiller but i see it as keeping the temperature stable. A must have for a stable reef enviroment.

Thanks Frankie,

My Ca needs are low right now I would say...I just as a few small frags of SPS and only about 10 corals total.

Euro-Reefs are made great, and I was told it should handle a good bioload, but I don't want to run into a situation where my skimmer can't handle it.

I was thinking chiller also, but those are big big $$. I may have to consider it though. Any recommendations on chillers? I haven't looked into the much yet.

Thanks again.

tbittner

I have mine plumbed in so it's gravity fed now. When I had it upstairs beside the tank though, I was using a RIO 2100 and it maintained the waters temp perfectly. Any pump in the 450-650 range would be perfect for it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
A chiller for a 90 gallon tank will cost around the same price as the bubble master.

tbittner

jrf, I don't see phosban reactors listed. If you aren't wanting to spend too much and would like to buy something that REALLY makes a difference, get one of those and run phosban or carbon in it.

Of course, a bigger skimmer would probably be money well spent too. I also think that maintaining stable water temps is very important.

jrf1175

jrf, I don't see phosban reactors listed. If you aren't wanting to spend too much and would like to buy something that REALLY makes a difference, get one of those and run phosban or carbon in it.

Of course, a bigger skimmer would probably be money well spent too. I also think that maintaining stable water temps is very important.

I have a 2 Lil Fishes Reactor. It is not running at the moment but I am planning I starting some carbon soon since my phosphates are very minimal at this point (the detectable ones). I just need antoher Maxi-Jet since the one for my reactor is circulating my change water.

The chiller may be the best bet. Since I moved recently and don't have AC in the new unit. We rent and it may be added by our landlord, but nothing is for sure. It would be nice not to have to worry about temp swings for sure!

I think this would be a springtime purchase....but by then I may need a CA reactor as well...and maybe a bigger skimmer lol...:bouncebox

Frankie

RS STAFF
Chillers are mostly ran in the winter. Mine works much harder to keep up with heating the house. In the summer we keep the house cooler.

jrf1175

Chillers are mostly ran in the winter. Mine works much harder to keep up with heating the house. In the summer we keep the house cooler.

Like I said I might not have AC in the summer so cooler is not an option at this point....so that may be the biggest issue for me with temp control

prow

if i am reading right you only have your return pump and one PH? if so i would look into improving my flow, like getting a pair of tunze streamer pumps with a multicontroller and photo cell.

or what about a RO/DI unit?

chillers i like JBJ acrticas.

jrf1175

if i am reading right you only have your return pump and one PH? if so i would look into improving my flow, like getting a pair of tunze streamer pumps with a multicontroller and photo cell.

or what about a RO/DI unit?

chillers i like JBJ acrticas.

I am actually running 2 6045s right now and my return is on a wavy sea.

Also have RO-DI.

The JBJ's looked nice as well. I will see how things go moving forward. If I can hold off on the skimmer for a while it looks like I may go for a chiller for my next big purchase.

At what point should I start to consider a calc reactor?

Thanks again for everyones input so far!

prow

At what point should I start to consider a calc reactor?
when you get tried of dosing to keep levels right or it starts to cost too much weekly/monthly for sups. are you dripping kalk? maybe dripping kalk will be enough have thought about a kalk reactor/stirrer? many that use a Ca reactor also use a kalk reactor, i do, to help with Ca reactor ph issues, so it would not be a waste to buy even if/when you buy a Ca reactor.