What makes BSJ want to jump???

Frankie

RS STAFF
*Update*

I did not alter my tank to close it off 100%. I still have about a 4 inch gap on the back of the tank where the over-flow box hangs. And to this date, my SPJF is still alive and doing well. I am somewhat surprised but yet thankful that he is doing well.

About two weeks ago I added a small blue face Angel fish and the Angel just kept going after the tail of the SPJF(maybe cause of the way the jawfish tail moves?). I just knew this would completely stress out the Jawfish and either cause him to finally jump, or get stressed and develop some form of disease. Also, at this time my jawfish wasn't seen to be eating and I just knew it was a matter of time before he was dead. The angel fish also took over the home the jawfish made so I knew that just made matters worst. The jawfish eventually went to the other end of the tank, made a new home under a rock. And now he's even EATING!!! Before he had started looking slim and u could tell he was not eating. But now he is eating, looks fat and healthy, and is doing pretty good. I don't know what triggered the turnaround, especially since I didn't do anything. My guess is the new food I'm using now, but I wasn't expecting the jawfish to like this product because it consist of other ingredients he wasn't eating before, like mysis shrimp.

When I first purchased the jawfish I would come home from work looking nervously to check to see if the Jawfish was still in the tank. And no matter what I did, I never actually seen the jawfish eat. Now, I no longer check to see if the Jawfish is in the tank, and he's even seen eating now.

Also, some of the so called advice on the BSJF didn't help. With things like:

"It's eyes are located on top of it's head enabling it to look up for food and predators. They are found as deep as 20' (feet) and are very fast sprinters. When threatened they will dart to there burrows for cover. "

I think its quite obvious that the eyes are on the top of the head, and the fish is a fast sprinters. Or, when threatened the jawfish will dart for cover. Duh!!! Did u cut & past that info because thats self-explanatory. There's a difference between having real knowledge and pretending....Good luck!!!
No, I copy and pasted that one right from my years of experience in the hobby.
Thanks for the comment though, from what your saying maybe I need to write a book or something if it sounded that good. :laughroll

lauriepacific

Half of my 65 gal. tank is stacked with liverock and when I introduced my BSJ to my tank (at night) he went into the liverock cave and made himself a cozy home. My BSJ hasn't jumped (yet), but I did cover the top of my tank with plastic ground-cover net that lets air and light through. My feeling is that when I buy a fish I'm responsible for it and I want to do all that I can to give it the best home I can provide. The reward is that I have a happy, healthy fish that gives me a lot of enjoyment. I've now trained my BSJ to eat vitamin/garlic-soaked small pieces of krill when I lower the food to him with plastic tongs. My BSJ named Angelo has adjusted so well in just a short period of time and I think it's because I'm really trying to be a good fish Mom. Anyhow, that's my two cents. And I agree with the others...why not return your BSJ to the LFS so that someone who has more time/interest can hopefully adopt him and give him a good life?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cute thread yet asking why it wants to jump is like asking why does the bat like to fly at night. Lets face it, they just do.

Craigslist is a great place to post fish for sale!!!