What kind of lighting?

flricordia

I am helping someone set-up a 240gl F/W that is full of rock and plastic plants. She doesn't want to bother with live plants right now, but I have a feeling she will want them once the tank settles in.
What kind of flourescents are available that will give good color to a community tank that will consist of tetras, discus, angels, gourami, fish like that. I have been away from F/W for so long I haven't kept up on the current lighting.
The power supply is 2- Icecap 440s with T12 end caps to run 4x4 foot bulbs. Would like to get lighting that is not too bright but will intensify fish colors and will be good for plants if she decides to go that route.

I recently bought a used SW setup that included 250wMH x 2 and 48" T-12 x 2 (also on an icecap 440). I have actinics in the T-12s.

I would not use the T-12 with a new system, but instead go with something like a T-5 like Paul suggested. T-12 hardware and spare bulbs are becoming harder to get by the day. None of the LFS here in Charleston carry them anymore.

bullytaro

I am not sure the price in your area, but the best will be MH set, which come with T5 at the side ( blue and red light) and 2 small LED too.

if for real plants. the next after MH will be PLL, but PLL is abit bulky with bigger or more casing. T5 will look nice and save alot of space, which the real plants don't pearl as much as PLL.

SubRosa

I would strongly recommend against the use of halides unless you are going to have the live plants.In a FW tank with no plants I would leave the lights off unless I was there enjoying the fish.Leaving them on just makes more work for you in algae removal.Turning off and on several times a day is not good for MH's.Plus you have to wait for them to warm up.Fluorescent of some type is the way to go.

flricordia

If it were my tank I probably would go with T5s but it is someone elses and she is looking for T12 so she doesn't have to replace endcaps and she does have MH, 2x400wt and a 175 but doesn't want to use them either. I will do a search on the net and see what is suggested for T12s. She wants to get them ordered in the next couple days.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I second the T5's. there are some good kits out there for your basic planted tank. Subrosa made a good point about the MH's. there more for the serious planted tanks out there. Not worth the money for a novice.

bullytaro

i agree, if there is no real plants, don't put high W light. you will have alot algea to clean up. if she is not sure she will keep real plants, maybe get the cheapest light will do. add a red color light will make the fish looks nicer.

when she want to go for real plants only upgrade the light.

DaveK

I am helping someone set-up a 240gl F/W that is full of rock and plastic plants. She doesn't want to bother with live plants right now, but I have a feeling she will want them once the tank settles in.
What kind of flourescents are available that will give good color to a community tank that will consist of tetras, discus, angels, gourami, fish like that. I have been away from F/W for so long I haven't kept up on the current lighting.
The power supply is 2- Icecap 440s with T12 end caps to run 4x4 foot bulbs. Would like to get lighting that is not too bright but will intensify fish colors and will be good for plants if she decides to go that route.

FW lighting is a bit different from SW reef lighting. I can't help by feel that most of the previous posts missed the whole point by recommending T5s and other "exotic" lighting.

Since this is a tank for FW and for fish, using plastic plants the whole trick here is to not over do the lighting. Since you have the Icecap 440's, you'll want to go with bulbs that will work with those ballasts. The obvious choice is VHO T12 bulbs. The bulbs generally available are the URI bulbs. Then come in several various color temps. The AquaSun bulbs are about 6500K, the ActinicWhite bulbs are about 10000K. There is also a 14000K bulb and an actinic blue bulb.

For FW I prefer a much more yellow light compared to what I'd use for a reef. For four bulbs, I'd use two AquaSun bulbs and two ActinicWhite bulbs. Using much higher color temps in FW would tend to wash out the colors of the fish, and look unusual or weird. Going with 4 AquaSun bulbs would look very yellow. You could also go with three of one bulb and one of the other if you wanted the tank more yellow or more blue.

The traditional "grow-lux" bulbs were used for years in hobby, and are still often sold for FW. They have a lot of blue and red light, but they make the tank look very artificial. I don't really like them.

Live plants require some additional care and considerations. especially with the filtration system. Generally that age old UGF system has to go, and you must use a deep sandbed.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good catch Dave. FW makes a HUGE difference in light selection. Exponentially less expensive too!!

JWarren

2 - Coralife 20 or 40 Watt, ColorMax Freshwater
2 - Coralife 40W 50/50's

This is a great freashwater combo for that setup!

mps9506

Keep in mind you can use 40watt bulbs in the Icecap fixture so you aren't stuck with VHO bulb choices only.