What Kelvin rating do you all use

Koda2007

Hi all, just wondering what Kelvin ratings you use on your reefs and are you happy with the result on your reef. If not what you like to go for. Are they MH/T5/PC or other. Also what do you kepp under your lighting ie softies, hards or a mixture.

I have 110 watts T5 Deltec Aquablue+ which gives 60% @ 6000k and 40% @ 22000k.
I also have 2x 150 watts @14000k

Thanks for any feedback.

Triggerjay

I run hamilton 14k MH, but I'm not the one to ask on spectrums, as this is my first attempt at MH.

Jason

Frankie

RS STAFF
I run250watt 12k reeflux bulbs now. I like them. The wattage and brand bulb will make a difference in the over all look and par.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Reeflux 10k on electronic ballast are currently on my 24" reef; but if you want par, go XM 10k.

kathywithbirds

Interesting... what is it exactly you're looking for when going with 10K or 6500? (Let me hijack this thread here...)

Koda2007

Hi Kathyithbirds

I dont know if this is the anwer you were looking for.
My combination of lights as above, is to give my corals a broad spectrum of lighting. Many corals have different light requirements therefore hopefully with the different ratings of kelvins I am catering for all needs.
I think the concensus here in the UK is to use 14000k but I am not 100% happy with this and I am considering reducing kelvin to 10000k on my MH. Looking at various places the concensus in the US seems to be 10000k and judging by the colour of peoples corals over there, you seems to be doing it right.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Dang know I have to think,

Shop Shallow Reef 1x150 HQI 10,000K 2x65Watt PC Act
Shop Nano 2x18 Watt PC 10,000K & Act
Triggers Display 2x65Watt PC Act
Home 125 Soalris H4 400Watt 72" 20,000K LED
Home 24 1x70 HQI 12 LEDs
Home 175 Solaris G 250Watt 20,000K LED
Prop Tank 6x54 Watt t5 HO 4x10,000K & 2xAct

vdituri

I run hamilton 14k MH, but I'm not the one to ask on spectrums, as this is my first attempt at MH.

Jason

I'm with Jason. Hamilton mogul based 14k MH 175W x 2 on a 55gallon.

I kept reading on MH lights and couldn't find a definitive answer so I figured I'd go right down the middle. True indecisiveness. :snshne:

reefman420

On the 75 i run 2 150 watt20k hqi x 2 96 watt p.c.,s,,1 50/50 1 true blue actinic
On the 29 prop tank diy 250 watt10k mogule mh pendent.
on the 39 long softie reef i run 2 96 watt 10k pc's

My 155 bowfront comes next month im gonna use the lights from the 75 and the prop tank,I to feel like i should acheive diff spectrum.

kathywithbirds

Hi Kathyithbirds

I dont know if this is the anwer you were looking for.
My combination of lights as above, is to give my corals a broad spectrum of lighting. Many corals have different light requirements therefore hopefully with the different ratings of kelvins I am catering for all needs.
I think the concensus here in the UK is to use 14000k but I am not 100% happy with this and I am considering reducing kelvin to 10000k on my MH. Looking at various places the concensus in the US seems to be 10000k and judging by the colour of peoples corals over there, you seems to be doing it right.

Thanks for the explanation! I have 150 watt 14000K on my 75g tank, just because the sunpod is easy to use and the 14K seemed to me to be "regular" light (not too blue, not too white). I am considering switching to 10000K bulbs just to see what difference it makes in both aesthetics and coral growth.

flricordia

I'm with Jason. Hamilton mogul based 14k MH 175W x 2 on a 55gallon.

I kept reading on MH lights and couldn't find a definitive answer so I figured I'd go right down the middle. True indecisiveness. :snshne:
Same here. Went with 15k XM but am seriously thinking of going 10k with actinic. 10k I hear gives better growth and I guess actinic for color. I haven't been too happy with color of corals under 15k. In the LRS the sps are under 10k and they look fantastic and everything else is under flourescent daylight and actinic and look very colorful.

Witfull

i run my XM 10Ks without the actinics on. my actinics come on for 1hr50minutes before halides then turn off 10 minutes after halides warm up. reverse for the off cycle.

Techno-Vicki

Jack posted what we have, now I would like to discuss why we have what we have: first, PC's are not worth the money for what you get from them in terms of energy and output, and they do poorly with corals except for those which need little or no light.

Second, I have had MH at 10K and the color is very yellow and does not dislplay the depth of color in the corals or fishes. I have use 14 K MH and they are a little better, but not a lot. Finally, it is 100% 400 20,000K LED that gives the corals the best color and over all health (not excessive heat causing problems). Of course the problem is the investment cost. Bit the bullet, the pain does go away and you are left with permenent pleasure:)

gotboost15psi

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have the XM 15k 175w SE bulb now but will be changing it very soon. I HATE IT!!. I purchased a 14k 175w bulb from ebay for about 15 bucks before switching to XM 15,000k and I loved it but because it wasent a name brand bulb and i was getting a super deal on the XM I said hell let me try the XM out.. Turns out the XM 15k are to blue and drowns out all the color of the corals. You can only see the green glow coming form some of the corals and thats about it. Gives the tank a purple/blue look. Yuk if your looking for a natural colorful tank. Just found out that PAR for the 15k is pretty low with this bulb so dont expect good growth from it. The 14k bulb i purchased for 15 bucks was actually better and I had better growth and the colors were beautiful.

Here is pictures of the XM 15k 175w about 96 hours burn time.

43400256.jpg

43400253.jpg

Here is the 14k 175w 15 bucks ebay bulb.
43400213.jpg

43400215.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Here is straight up 12k 2x250 watt reeflux. No t5 actinic on.

Attachments

• 000_1739 (Custom).jpg
    000_1739 (Custom).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 19