what is this

Debby

Was Feeding this morning and saw this.some type of crab I think.
Picture1338.jpg

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
It is also called the boxer crab and is the species Lybia tesselatta and those boxing mitts or pom-poms are anemones. The anemones are used to "mop-up" food to feed themselves, as the anemone has discharging "darts/harpoons" called nematocysts that the food gets stuck to. They can also be used as a defense, as the nematocysts contain neurotoxin venom.

Boomer

They are rarely ever an issue . However, in many tanks they loose the pom-poms as the "environment" is just not set to their needs. They do best, in keeping their pom-poms, if fed.

Debby

thanks boomer now that i know i have one i will keep eye out for it when i feed to make sure it is eating.It looked really different eating due to was taking pom poms and sweeping the sand kinda neat.

Debby

wonder where it came from have not added anything to tank in over 3 months.And just now seeing it LOL.

Debby

well i really watched for him this morning found out where he hides so now i know where to target feed yeaaaa.

Boomer

Some decorator crabs are not reef safe, this one is considered reef safe. This crab is not called a decorator crab although some may call it that. Decorator crabs do just what the name implies, decorate themselves with various animals, i.e., spnges, algae, zoanthids, coral etrc.. This one only uses anemones.

BarbMazz

I have one of these in one of my nanos. They're very entertaining, and mine has been harmless in the eight months he's been here. When I feed the tank he goes to the highest rock and waves his pom poms like a cheerleader during The Big Game. He's grown quite a bit, and as he does he allows his poms to get a little bigger, just as he is.

I especially like the crabs "false eyes" on his body carapace. Makes him very scary looking! lol Very colorful little guy!