What is this gowing on zoas?

I'm not sure if this is something growing b/t the polyps or if it was a polyp. Any info greatly appreciated! Sorry about the bad pic, camera doesnt like close-ups!

1-09003.jpg

1-09001.jpg

I will get a closer pic this afternoon, I'm taking all the rocks out of DT so I can catch a zoa eating damsel. The zoas are in my fuge & I will be moving them into the DT once I get it set back up. Will hold it & take a pic closer. Dont want to have to disturb twice.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yep - tough to tell from the photos. Does it look like a polyp? If so it might be a palythoa. Or if not maybe a sponge as framerguy said. A better picture would help. Whatever it is, it looks like there may be a smaller one near the edge of the zoas?

Are you sure about the pineapple sponges? I just found the 6th one! How fast do these things grow & will they take over the zoas? How do you care for them if they are good, I guess nothing since they seem to be growing like a weed, lol. Sorry for all the questions, these zoas are my very first corals in my reef adventure.

reefer4200

they are filter feeders and just absorb the things in your water. they do NOTHING but GOOD things. i dont believe the wil take over the rock so i woudlnt worry about that. u dont have to do anthing for them just dont let them touch air cuz that can and most liekly will deplete them...which maybe you already did for pictures? either way they wont hurt your tank. GOOOD GOOD GOOOOOOOD! :)

I had one in my tank a little less than a year ago. I had the same concerns as you do. They will probably eventually disappear when your water composition changes enough, but they are definitely doing good.

funkpolice

They might die because you exposed them to air. On another note, you should put some gloves on when you handle any coral, but especially zoas. Some of them are extremely toxic. Emergency room toxic. It looks like you have some nice ones. Any luck with the damsel?
bill

Wish I had known about exposing them to air, but they seem to look the same this morning, so maybe they will make it. I'm just relieved to know it's not something bad. May be a stupid question, but how did they get there? I've had the zoas for a month (in the fuge) now all of a sudden those things decided to appear on one frag?

Oh yea, the glove thing, I forgot with that one b/c I was taking the pictures, did use them when moving the others. I know it only takes one time......

Yes I caught the damsel, very easy with the rocks not in there, lol. I caught my sabae clown too. It's a really mean fish, I'm tired of it picking on my other clown. So they are both in the QT, just waiting for LFS to open so I can take them there!