What is this bacteria in my tank?

AdamsReef

Hey guys, I’ve cycled my tank for 4 week and after tested 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and low nitrate.. after it cycled I bought fish and corals staggering the times in between buying them.
Since last week I have had what looks like diatoms showing up on the glass, rocks and live sand. However there is also pink within the brown and was wondering what it was??
Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate high so I done a water change today.
Any replies would be much appreciated.
I’m new to this site so I’m also unsure how to add photos otherwise I would :)

AdamsReef

40 gallon
Only using hang on the back filter until I get a sump
15-20 kg dry rock
2 clownfish, leopard wrasse, snails, bristle worms, red legged hermit crab.
3 corals ( 2 leathers and 1 zoanthid all doing fine)

DaveK

If your seeing brown on the glass and corals ans so on, it's usually a diatom bloom and will pass in a couple of weeks or so. Pink that requires a bit of effort to scrape off is usually coraline algae, and usually a good thing. If it's more a maroon color and easy to remove, it's usually cyano. This is something you don't want, and the cause is usually an excess of nitrates and phosphates.

Most tanks go through a bunch of algae blooms. This is not unusual. Don't panic. Doing a partial water change to reduce nitrate is a good idea.

Notes -
Three fish in a newly setup 40 gal tank is asking a lot of the system. Most likely, you'll be fine, but don't add additional fish for awhile.

AdamsReef

Thanks for the reply, the pink is actually on the sand and not the rock so it must be cyano.. what’s the most natural way I can get rid of this without the use of chemical products??
Also I done a 10% water change yesterday and will do 20% tomorrow..
Thank you for the advise it’s really appreciated.

Also how do I upload pictures so you can see?

Uncle99

Cyano, if it’s Cyano, blow it off and vacumn it out.

In time, when your tank matured, it will go away

10% consistently weekly is sufficient.