What is it? How Do I Get Rid of It!?!?

johnmaloney

it may be Lyngbya. A type of cyanobacteria that looks exactly like that. Hopefully it is just regular old GHA, it is tall for snails do beat back, manual removal should get up the majority of it quickly

johnmaloney

google images has failed me again....cant find a picture of the Lyngbya species I am referring too, will keep looking for you.

A few different types of "hair algae" (a hobbyist term that refers to 1000s of different species of algae and cyanobacteria) are Lyngbya. Like the short tuft form of Lyngbya that is reddish maroon, that one is Lynbya too. I need to find my taxonomy book, I can remember Latin names on the oddballs to save my life....:(

oc reefer

Not an expert by any means, however i had the same problem when starting my tank. Im guessing that you used Tap water to start tank (just a hypothsis, i used ice cubes from fridge in summer when tank was getting hot. what a no no, i was a nub). I purchaced a hang on the back refegium filled it with cheito and stuffed a media bag with two fishies phos-ban. I also got a scopes tang who munches the stuff. Within 2 1/2 weeks poof all gone.

And make sure to use R/O DI water (NEVER USE TAP!!!!) and weekley water changes is a must!

Well thats my 2 cents good luck!