What if I do transition from T5 to LED (Ecotech Radion)?

RogerDiver

Hi,

I've searched for my doubt but did not found, if it's already discussed on another thread please point me on right direction.

My tank is running T5 (RS 55W x 2) 8 weeks old, if I install an Ecotech Radion unit what acclimation do I have to plan, I mean what % output is about the same of my current lightning system?

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I do not have the exact calculation but I would advise caution.... if the radions are anything like these other fixtures out they can do some damage if the tank is not properly acclimated to them... if I were u I would start the first day at 20% Max.. second day to 5th day 30% 5th day to 10th day 40%.. then just ask your corals how there doing... (look at them, polyp extension/ bleaching/ mushrooms bigger or smaller than normal etc...) good luck!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Built347

Hi! :) .. this is the process I did when I bought the Apollos.. I noticed a small "shock" to the tank during acclimation and as soon as I stepped to 50% on the 14-15th day I started noticing bleaching in montis.. so I stepped back to 40 for another 10 days and tried 50% again with success... I have yet to be able to dim over 50%.. one thing I can Guarantee is that you will love led's.. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. :D

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have been running LED's for over 3 years now and I can assure you that you'll want to slowly acclimate any photosynthetic coral to the new LED lights (not Radion specific). I lost several SPS coral when I converted my work tank over to LED 3 years ago.

When I converted my RSM130D over to LED in November (going from RSM stock lights to LED) I started around 20% and slowly bumped up the percentage approx 5%- 10% a week. I got slack and I'm now up to 80% and my coral are growing VERY well (including SPS).

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've read that the 20% range is good to start and then 5% a week. Might be too slow but i'd rather be safe than sorry if you have some nice corals. Ending up in the 50-70% range i hear is common.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've read that the 20% range is good to start and then 5% a week. Might be too slow but i'd rather be safe than sorry if you have some nice corals. Ending up in the 50-70% range i hear is common.

Bingo :)

RogerDiver

My tank is a RSM130, I'm looking for Radion but I must confess that I liked more Maxspect Mazarra P-Series, but I think that the mod with maxspect is more radical than with radion.

I'm sure that I'll love the LED's, I have two i-Torch Pro video ligths that I use to film some dives, so I open the lid and simulate what a led fixture looks like, the lights have just two leds (out 1400 lumens @ 110 degrees) the illumination is far from an aquarium fixture, but give me an idea.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Roger GHL is going to be releasing their LED in just a few weeks. I have no idea if it will fit or not inside the RSM hood (I would LOVE to know first hand...) but it might be a viable option.

RogerDiver

It would be nice Allen, my main problem is the timeframe I'll be in NY on first week of May, I had plans to go back US on June to attend Apple's WWDC in San Francisco, but the tickets sold out 30 minutes after I receive the invitation e-mail.

If I ship anything from US to Brazil the taxes can be almost 100% over the goodies price + shipping costs.

RogerDiver

Yeap! it's insane... so as I travel 4-5 times a year to US I allways spare 1-2 days to shop, this time I already ordered from media basket to MP10, and a LED upgrade would be nice

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ahh I understand. I know there are "Ways" to ship that aren't nearly so cost "prohibitive" but since you'll be in the US you may find a good deal and decide to take it home then. Can't blame you for that :)

RogerDiver

Allen, is GHL an England company?

I did not decided which fixture, I'll be in NY from 3-May until 13, I'm ordering most of goodies on-line and shipping it to a mail forward service that I have from myus.com, I could not find any reference for aquariums shops in Manhattan, just Manhattan Aquariums but they did not answered any e-mail I sent them.

Besides the software of radion's the fixture looks nice, If i live in US I'll take two Mazarras, but in order to fit it properly I'll need to dremel the RSM hood cuz the Mazarra do not fit the current T5 window, Mazarras is a square of 230mm x 230mm.

RogerDiver

I was not convinced about the Radion and since I liked more the Mazarra, I have ordered one instead of radion. I ordered together a tank mount, so I'll first mount it without the hood.

dmatt88

I've had Apollo leds for 4 months. Anything over 50% causes bleaching.

........the mayor has spoken

RogerDiver

Just arrived in Brazil this monday morning with a pair os Mazarra P-Series on my bag (and some other updates) to my tank. I'll assembly the ligths and post some pics.

RogerDiver

I really liked the reflector building and form factor, but I noticed some issues with mechanic parts, one of ball joints did not lock in position, so I disassembled it to try to figure out why wasn't work, and I belive it's a design failure, when compared with the ball joint that was working properly I found a workaround probably factory made.

I've assembled the lights on the floor of my room and played with controller to learn how it work, today I bring it to my office (where the tank is) and will make some pictures of the workaround on ball joints and e-mail Mazarra and Salt Supply looking for some assistance and will report the result here, once the ligths are installed on the tank I'll post some pictures.

EDIT:

The ball joint is this part:
IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

The silver part is where the bolt make pressure on a ball and lock in position, the left part have the workaround that somebody else made and work as expected the right part just do not lock in position.

IMG_0579.jpg

Last edited: