What happend to my Blue Linkia starfish?

I have a Blue Linkia Star in my 75 gallon reef tank. Also in this tank is one small hermit, two emerald crabs, three yellow tail damsels, and two clown who host a torch coral and never leave it.

I woke up this morning to my star was on the substrate with one leg folded under it's self. It has always stayed on the LR. SO, I picked it up to see if it was dead... it surely looks ill (it is not as "full" as it normally is). At this point I put it on top of the rock work to see if it will move, and noticed the tip of one arm is wounded! The very tip looks like something ate at it. It is all fleshy and torn up... Just the very tip. I have noticed that he has looked a little thin and week the last few day. He was on the back of the rock work for these last few days, so I am not sure if this happend a while ago or just last night.

What happend? Did one of my damsels do this, or was it one of my crabs?
Or... Is the star sick?

Help!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Starfish are soooooo sensitive to water changes and "off" parameters. Usually they will look "ragged" and this will progress through-out the body. They simply "dissolve" to some degree.

Have you made any changes to the tank lately?

What are your current water parameters (like test now)?

I did recently do a 25% water change.

water perameters...
Sal...1.0235
Temp...88-89
pH...8.3
Ammonia...0
Nitrite...0
Nitrate...5ppm
Calcium...600 a bit high (I do not add any trace elements or anything like that)
Phos...0.25ppm
Alk...10dKH

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Woa there! your temp! Is that correct?

your Calc is indeed high. How long has it been this way?

degibson84

I did recently do a 25% water change.

water perameters...
Sal...1.0235
Temp...88-89
pH...8.3
Ammonia...0
Nitrite...0
Nitrate...5ppm
Calcium...600 a bit high (I do not add any trace elements or anything like that)
Phos...0.25ppm
Alk...10dKH

your temp is high i keep mine around 77-79

My calcium has been high ever since I got the tank about a month ago from a friend. Not sure how to reduce it. I thought that time would reduce that.

well it was established for years before I moved it a month ago.

I beleive you were helping me with my anemone that wasn't doing to well a couple weeks back... I took it back.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Something is out of balance in your tank. The starfish may just be the "Indicator".

Have you ever tested or HAD tested your Mag?

ReefLady

Staff member
What Al said. Usually what looks like an injury is the starfish "disintegrating" - which will happen if the salinity/temp fluctuates considerably. They are extremely sensitive to sg/temp changes, which is why drip acclimation over several hours is recommended when first introduced to a new tank.

I'd say salinity is low (should be about 1.025). The big question is, was the water used for a WC the exact same temp and salinity as the water in the tank?

the water I used for the change was about 80 degrees and was added to 77 degree water. The salinity a month ago was 1.022 and I have been Very Very slowly been moving that up to where it is at(1.0235). I am still trying to up that but i dont want to go too fast.

ReefLady

Staff member
That does not sound like a drastic difference. There's got to be something else that's "off". What kind of ca test are you using? Are you using RO water? (just trying to understand why ca would be so high).

Calcium issue has had me confused too.
At first I used tap water. for one 40-50% change.
Since then I have been using RO or Pre-Mixed water from my LFS.
Doing 1-2 20% changes per week since then.

I am using an API Reef Master Test Kit. (Test Tubes and Drops)

ReefLady

Staff member
I really can't say. Could you post a pic of it? If it dies, it will completely disintegrate. Is it moving at all? Is the hole getting any larger?

had trouble posting it to this thread, so it is in my gallery. the one titled untitled. not the best quality but should get you the image.

it has not realy been moving but it is still sticking to the rock work.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
TRR you'll have to have the pics HOSTED online to be able to post them

try photobucket.com