What equipment to use for drip acclimation?..

Hi guys,

I want to know what equipment do you use for drip acclimation?

Do you use an air tube and tie them into a knot?

The speed of the dripping will depend on how loose the knot is, correct?

But how can you make the water go into such small air tube without suck it?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:hallo:With small diameter air tube it only takes a little suction, just to get it started and up and over the tank top. As long as it's going down hill, it will go on its own. Another thing you can do it submerge the entire tube and let it fill with water. Then while keeping one end in the tank, put your finger over the other end while still submerged and remove the stopped end to a position below the tanks water height and remove your finger. You can also place a 5cc plastic syringe on the end of the tubing and pull back on the plunger to get it started. Remember that the drip end should be at a level below the tanks water height.

DeepBlue

Hi Again 32Bit! Drip acclimatin is done with airline tubing. On one end, use a small rock rubber banded onto the tube. This end goes into the tank. (The rock keeps the tube in the tank) On the other end that goes into a 5 gallon bucket, should have a knot tied. After you float the speciman bags in your tank for about 1/2 hour, cut the bag open and release this fish or invert into the bottom of the bucket. You may need to tip the bucket to one side for a while until the water level gets higher. Once the fish is in the bucket, begin the siphon on the air tubing. Yes, you may need to suck on the tube, just try to remove your mouth before you get a mouthfull of the tank water!:barf:

You will then adjust the knot until the dripping is a very steady, rapid drip. (about 6 drips a second) Now, just let it go for the next 2 - 3 hours until the volume of the dripped water is at least 4X the amount of what was in the bag. This is important. Now, during this time, keep an eye on the temp of the water in the bucket and make sure it matches the temp in your tank. If not, pu a heater in the bucket and bring the temp. up to that of the tank. After the time has passed, you can simply remove the speciman and release it into the tank. The lights should be off duing this process and for the next 2 hours while the fish settles in their new home.

This process will really make a difference in the overall health and well-being of your new additions.:bouncer:

DeepBlue

After all that, I now see blue_eyes came up with a great tool for this job. Sure beats my way of sucking up a quart of fresh tank water...lol.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
i just use air tubing with a knot tied in it...suck on it with the knot tied ,the water will shoot up the tubing until it hits the knot giving you plenty of time to pull away without ever getting any water i your mouth*note knot must be on the end you suck from -not the end in the tank.

.adjust flow as nessesary after.

I've been doin it like this since i started and cant remember ever tastimg good ole' tank water...although it will toughin' ya up..yum! JMO

Thanks guys.

I do have an air tubing and a valve. But I am trying figure out what to use to hold one end of the tube in the tank besides using a rock..

how would you use a piece of rock to hold one end of the tube down in the tank?

mps9506

I always loosely tied the tubing to part of my plumbing to keep it from moving around. I always hang around the tank when doing this though, as soon as I walk away the bubket will overflow or the tubing will come out of the bucket or something like that. All will work fine when I sit and watch it though.

jerseydiver

I've been using airline tubing tied loosely through a piece of pvs(!/2 90 or something small) just to keep one end weighted down in the water. The other end I was using the knot but then thought about my drip irragation system for my roses. The dial type drip ends are availably at home depot for about a dollar or so. Seems to work for me.

Cougra

How to start a syphon WITHOUT sucking water!

Method #1
Place entire hose in tank and fill it completely with tank water. Hold one end of hose in tank. Place thumb over the other end of hose and bring it down to the area you want to start syphoning the water and remove thumb. Water will flow freely.

Method #2.
Block the one end of hose that will sit outside the tank and fill the hose up (even filling it halfway works!)using a funnel and pour water into it. Place open end into tank. Unblock the end outside tank. Water will flow freely; if you didn't fill the hose completely, you will get a bit of air until the hose completely fills.

In other words, just make sure there is some water in the hose to begin with and gravity will create the suction that you need to get the water to flow.

Suckking on a hose to get the syphon started is dangerous, especially if you have any sort of wounds in your mouth as out tanks contain lots of toxins and bacteria that can cause a lot of problems if given the chance. It's not with the risk when it's so easy to start WITHOUT resorting to suction power!

. Now, during this time, keep an eye on the temp of the water in the bucket and make sure it matches the temp in your tank. If not, pu a heater in the bucket and bring the temp. up to that of the tank. make a difference in the overall health and well-being of your new additions.:bouncer:

How would you add a heater in a bucket in a such small volume of water?

The smallest heater I have is a 50w and I think it will boil the water I think. Besides that, the water in the bucket isn't deep enough to totally submerse the heater completely.

DeepBlue

You can add the heater to the bucket once the water level reaches the point that you can put one in. Your heater won't boil the water as you have it set a specific temp. and it will shut off once it gets to that temp. You may want to look at getting just a small back-up heater that will fit laying down in the bucket. They are pretty cheap and I like to keep one around for things like this.

The rock I refered to is just a small stone (clean) attached with a rubber band. Just enough to keep the airline tubing under water.

Pro_builder

I use RO water line 1/4" a valve and 2 90 degree elbows. Just make the elbows up so that they make a 180 degree turn, put the one end in the tank and the other in the bucket.
When I am ready to start the drip I submerge the whole line in the tank first them shut off the valve. Setup the line to drip in the bucket and turn on the valve to the desired position and drip rate, and boom you are done.