What do you use for ATO...

slakker

I've just set up my 30G RSM and was wondering what others have used as ATO device? How is it setup and what's workign well or not so well.

BEELZEBOB

i put a one gallon jug on top of my tank.

i put a 3' section of airlin tubing in the jug.

then i suck on the tube, tie a knot to control drip rate, and let it drip.

worx just fine at the ghetto reef

slakker

Ghetto reefer??? You can't be with a RSM! I'm still impressed how well engineered it is... it terms of how it's all put together... whether I can use it to sustain life is another story! :)

cbrownfish

I use a 20 gallon tub with a mixture of Kalkwasser and RO/DI water. I drip via airline tubing and air valve (sorry I lose ghetto points) 24/7 at or near the evaporation rate.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tunze Osmolator for ATO here and very happy with it. JBJ makes a lower priced one, and there are DIY kits available too. Or the ghetto reefer solution is the lowest cost LOL! I do have a ghetto reefer ATO reservoir though - a recycled plastic kitty litter container.

ATOReservoir.jpg

I have the sensors mounted in back (I run a raised HQI/T5 hood now and a Remora skimmer):

ATOBack.jpg

The Tunze controller on the side of the RSM:

ATOController.jpg

When I get my refugium going I'll put the sensors in the return section of that, and I have a Tunze 9002 skimmer that I've had on standby for months (got it used but like new) that will fit nicely in the refugium, and let me keep my shelf in the cabinet.

framerguy

Oh my goodness, I was going to post pics of my ATO but you have raised the bar way too high! JK, I don't have pics but if I did you have definitely shown everyone up. I have an ATO unit from autotopoff.com AutoTopoff.com and it is mounted inside a 3" pvc pipe. It activates a aqualifter pump that puts out about 3gph. I never have to adjust the water in the sump, I only add fresh water to the resevoir.

Last edited:

slakker

K... went and got the Tunze today... got to figure out how to mount it as I'm keeping the hood. Still just 1 week into take setup, but only 3 days with LR... so a while to go yet...

But the funny thing is that I just realized I have the 34G tank, not the 30G!??! :)

Adam Black

Oh my goodness, I was going to post pics of my ATO but you have raised the bar way too high! JK, I don't have pics but if I did you have definitely shown everyone up. I have an ATO unit from autotopoff.com AutoTopoff.com and it is mounted inside a 3" pvc pipe. It activates a aqualifter pump that puts out about 3gph. I never have to adjust the water in the sump, I only add fresh water to the resevoir.

I also use one from Ato.com. I paid maybe 35 bucks for everything including black acrylic and bin. I made the sensor holder so it was a little cheaper. Here's some pics.Ato bin is alittle dusty. I have it in the closet next to my tank.
65gallonpics053.jpg

65gallonpics055.jpg

Whoops! Sorry I dont use the Ato. I use the I sensor. I'll post the link later, off to work!

Last edited:

johnfishnovice

has anyone used a Aqua Medic Evaporation Level Control (basically an ATO) with a Aqua Medic Kalkwasser Stirrer 1000 attached to it....

im looking to buy this one versus the tunze osmolator coz of hte kalkwasser which i have discovered is really useful in a tank setup...

any opinoins or experiences?????

johnfishnovice

cant get a jbj auto ... only come in 110volts, here its 240. so only options is the tunze osmolator or the aqua medic

im leaning a little to the aqua medic coz you can attach a Kalkwasser Stirrer 1000 to it.. have read that kalkwasser is fantastic for a reef setup.

cheaper than a calcium reactor which i dont think i could afford at the moment as i am going to buy other stuff too....