What do you guys think of refugium vs. skimmer?

zchauvin

Well the tank is 17.4 to be exact and the sump holds maybe 2-3 gallons.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

BLADEYAMAHA

You could run the bubble magus skimmer your talking about but I would rather run the Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150 with a Maxi Jet power head 1200 and run carbon in it and not the skimmer and use the 2 or 3 gallon sump as a refugium.

BLADEYAMAHA

As long as you keep the carbon changed when the water flow through the phosban reactor slows to a very slow rate and then replace the carbon you will be fine with no skimmer.

TylerHaworth

A refugium this small will likely have marginal benefit in the way of nutrient export.

That being said: Tunze 9002 ALL the way... it has like a 3.5" x 2" footprint (Less, I think) and skims like an absolute beast.

That coupled with a reactor running mixed GAC and GFO should have you set.

zchauvin

I got the skimmer working so I will be able to have both a fuge and the skimmer!! Yay haha, I had to mod the air intake part and now its skimming some Yummy looking funk

lbiminiblue

I use just a refugium. Works great for me. OF course it's also an enttire 10 gallon tank dedicated to a refugium.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Exactly mine would have to be so small it would do nothing.

I believe we have a winner. Skimmer it is. Monster hob refugium!

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

zchauvin

I believe we have a winner. Skimmer it is. Monster hob refugium!

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Fuge would equal no help, as opposed to no fuge and a much much larger skimmer. And no... I don't want **** hanging off my tank haha defeats paying more for a rimless tank