What do you guys think of refugium vs. skimmer?

zchauvin

I have a very small sump under my 60p and I have a 9inch section thats the refugium right now. I added an aquaticlife nano skimmer 115 and I hate it. I'll finally get it working half decent, 5 minutes later it doesnt work at all. The adjustment knob is absolute garbage... Anyways, I was thinking of ripping the refugium out and adding a reef octopus nbw 110/ largest skimmer possible that I can fit. I have a 2 inch sand bed and a total of 20lbs live rock. 18 in tank and 2 in the inflow section of sump. I figured that if nothing else, I could add a phosban reactor and run np reducing biopellets. I know someone will mention just doing more waterchanges since its a small tank, but with working 9-9 and college theres no time. The last thing I want to do is change water 1-2 times a week.

BLADEYAMAHA

The skimmer I use is a My Reef Creations MR-1

MR-2.jpg

zchauvin

The skimmer I use is a My Reef Creations MR-1

MR-2.jpg

that thing looks big lol. I have very limited space which is why I cant use both... well I could like I am right now but the skimmer would have to be located in the refugium area and honestly... this skimmer is garbage in my opinion. I mean the case of it doesnt even close tight and lets water pour out of the top. its ridiculous so i was thinking of doing away with the refugium and just using a large skimmer. my tank is only 17g and the sump like 2 gallons so if I use a skimmer rated at like 100 gallons or whatever thats 4 times the total volume. I think that would pay off better than having a minute refugium area and a small skimmer.

zchauvin

And I see now it would fit by how small it is and the amount of water it can handle but phew. 375$!!! haha. I guess its worth the money though.

BLADEYAMAHA

Yeah, you gotta figure in about a 1100 gph pump in too which runs anywhere from $150-$300 depends on the brand of pump you use. But you do need 1100 GPH for the MR-1.

BLADEYAMAHA

They say a Mag 12 will work with the MR-1 but it does have enough pressure behind it, you have to have a pressure pump that flows 1100 gph.

zchauvin

phew. I could use a mag 12. I work for a lfs so it would only run me 67$. Wouldnt that large of a pump cause lots of mb in my sump?

BLADEYAMAHA

phew. I could use a mag 12. I work for a lfs so it would only run me 67$. Wouldnt that large of a pump cause lots of mb in my sump?

Like I stated, the Mag 12 doesn't have enough pressure, I already tried one with no luck, didn't run the skimmer properly.

StirCrayzy

RedSea Prizm is a decent little hang on (sump) skimmer that wouldnt take up any fuge space.
Can be had for under $100, or buy mine.:D

zchauvin

Sorry bladeyahama, your post about the mag12 wasnt up before my reply, and its a 17g tank with 2g sump. I dont have room for a hang on. My stand is the exact same as tank minus the 3/4 back and 3/4 door. My sump is 16L x 16H x 9w. I have no room for a hang on so it would have to be in sump which is why i thought of the aquaticlife mini internal. It would have to be something like the 110 or the one you showed me.

BLADEYAMAHA

Ah, there are other skimmers that are in sump and are cheaper,but ones like the MRC MR-1 or the Aqua C EV-120 or EV-180 and such are better than cone skimmers for sure. The MR-1 is made for a 150 gallon system and I run it on about a 80 gallon system and it works real well with a heavy load. I also use a Gen X pressure pump flowing 1090 gph. Its always a better idea to run a pressure pump on a beckett skimmer than a Mag pump because of better pressure.