What do you do for vacation?

ChrisY

Not in terms of what you do while on vacation, lets keep it PG13. lol :)

Anyway, what I mean is how do you all deal with your tanks while you are away for a week or so. One of mine has ATO so I am good there, but the other doesn't. Also what about feeding. Do I need to get a neighbor to come over and feed and top-off my tanks?

The one without the ato has MH so it looses a good bit of water a day. should I just cut the lights while I am gone? There is only one coral in it, a galaxy.

What are your suggestions?

Chris

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have my sister in law come over and feed thats the max she can handle. I have an ATO but the well ran dry last time I went away and the glass was full of algae so I think I have some training to do.
If you have someone you can trust I would have them handle the tank for a week while your home so you can "teach them." They will then have the confidence to handle it while your away and you will have some piece of mind.

sk8rdn

What about shifting the galaxy to the other tank for a week and not running the metal halides on that tank. Very little evaporation.
And the other you say has an ATO, so no worries there.
I wouldn't worry about feeding. Fish can go a week. Just feed heavy right before you leave and the second you get home.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

dmatt88

Dean. He's the fish Whisperer. Gotta have daily checks. Plus a controller helps keep ya up on what's going on.

.........yep. I'm a reefer.

kain101

my tanks have pretty much on a once a week/every other week maintainence schedule anyway so i usually just do everything the day before or morning of the trip. If I have live feeding fish, i may have someone come and feed them every other day. I am about to invest in an auto feeder though

LOL, one of the reasons I keep fish is because I like to travel and don't want too much headache about animal care and not being able to go away

ChrisY

lol.

I like the idea of moving the galaxy, but would have to make some soom he has some sweepers that would probably sting the living **** out of my other stuff. :)

Chris

sk8rdn

ChrisY said:
lol.

I like the idea of moving the galaxy, but would have to make some soom he has some sweepers that would probably sting the living **** out of my other stuff. :)

Chris

What about a specimen container drilled with holes? Should keep 90% on the stings contained...

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
For vacations (and I LOVE my vacations) I have a neighbor come over and "Walk through" my daily check list and drop pre-made frozen food pucks into the tanks. I wont let my tanks go more than 36hrs without someone at least "walking through". You never know when a float will stick or something. I pre-measure and freeze each serving of food the week before. All they have to do it drop ONE puck into the tank. I put the right amount of food into the bottom of the ICE tray and fill the rest with RO/DI water. Once they are frozen I put them in CLEARLY LABELED baggies. I have typed/written instructions (check this, watch that feed ONE puck here TWO pucks there etc). Keep it simple but thorough!!!

Here is a link to a couple of pictures of my Food Puck for my 10g and 12g tanks

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/nano-reefs/17932-nanocube-12-dx-what-now-6.html#post698819