What did your Moonlight did for your tank, i mean did it do anything?

The resulting affect of my moonlights

• It change the whole tank, just beautyfull

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I got spawning from corals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I did nothing in my tank

• Too expensive for nothing

• Its beautifull but i see no other effect

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • The change is suttle but its there

• Nothing spectacular, i regret buying it

• I have better success with some corals

• I have better success with some fish

• I'm finally able to keep certain coral or fish

• The kids like it

• I have it but i don't follow the lunar cycle

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

How did they affect your tank or you?

-Did your corals spawned ?
-Did anything or nothing happened?
-Do you regret buying them?
-Do you feel the urge to get up and look at your tank at weehours of the night?
-Do you spawn?
-Do you follow the real Lunar cycle or just 12 hour of your LED's and 12 hours of moonlights period.

In any case tell us what it did to your tank in general if its not to push you electric bill a bit further up. I just got mine and i wonder. Its beautifull, but....

My model, Apex neptune, onto my Maxspect Razors.

443.jpg

445.jpg

446.jpg

447.jpg

448.jpg

Very cool looking 5 LED's lights easy to install. Easy to use.

1520698_240722322762827_1934331083_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ratpack

I have all situations, on all night, on for a few hours (for my viewing) and then none at all and I haven't seen any differences in the tank either time. I did like the few hours to view, but currently I run none at all.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have one tank that runs an extremely accurate lunar cycle and another that has no moonlights at all.

Moonlit Tank: 34g RSM 130D at home controlled by my GHL ProfiLux with SimuStick. This system replicates the moon intensity and timing extremely accurately at my geographic location. It's very cool to see the tank "lighted" just like the coral reef would be if I lived in the ocean. Ironically this tank has never experienced a coral spawning event.

UnMoonlit tank: NanoCube 12DX in my office. Lit by StevesLED lights that gradually ramp up and off from morning to early evening with no moonlight what so ever. In fact this tank is immersed in total darkness from 5:00pm until 6:00am every day. When I mean total darkness I'm talking can't see your hand in front of your face darkness. This tank has had multiple coral spawning events.

Snid

I don't run any moonlights, and I'm just now starting to get into corals. In all my research, I've come to the conclusion that Moonlights are overkill, rarely produce varying results, and I probably won't be getting any. In fact, I've read that Moonlights can actually cause more harm than good with various Algae growth, and the overwhelming vast majority of people tend to have them on too bright and too long so the fish don't get an adequate cycle of rest. I do have my blue lights ramp up and down before and after my white lights though.

Tigersref

I have a 36bowfront and i use the CoralLife Lunar T5 unit. it comes with 2 small moonlights. I leave those on 24/7. I like viewing the tank at night with the moonlights because corals appear to "glow in the dark".

12825999324_7fcf2601ff_b.jpg

12805157973_b55e77d9ee_b.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
TigersRef your tank looks amazing!

With that being said your tank will benefit from some degree of total darkness. It's ok to have some days with no total darkness (clear full moon nights on shallow reefs etc) but most all photosynthetic organisms do better and grow better with some amount of rest period (aka darkness).

Snid

I've often wondered about how similar photosynthesis is for corals and underwater plants as compared to normal plants above ground. Most plants have had their fill of sun by midday, and any other light beyond that does not contribute to the photosynthesis process as all that can be absorbed for the time being has been absorbed. Has anyone done any studies on this with corals?

DaveK

My "moonlights" are a function of the AI Hydra fixtures over the tank. I let them follow the lunar cycle because it's a simple option on their controller. I don't see where the moonlight effects do much, but they do look nice.

Basile

Well i finally was able to vote lol, Its a beautifull effect , i can enjoy the tank in almost total darkness, but as for any perceivable effect,or benefits; it must be for the inhabitant alone .

My NPS zone (the picture is over exposed in reality its much darker)

489.jpg

501-1.jpg

462.jpg

385.jpg