What cleans my sand?

Dweezil

I said Nassarius won't eat algae or "clean" the sand. They will eat food that lands on the bottom which in turn helps keep cyano away. Cerith Snails are algae eaters but you have to be careful when you have Hermits as they like to eat them and take their shell.

Dash10

I have a 5-6 inch DSB in my tank so cleaning my sandbed was a primary concern for me.

I have about 15 nassarius snails which eat leftover/excess food that lands on my sandbed; they also help turn the sand over on a regular basis.

As far as cleaning algae off the sandbed goes, my astrea snails have done this from time to time, but hands down, I have two fighting conch snails which keep my sandbed spot clean. I have never seen algae form on my sandbed as a result and I have delt with my fair share of outbreaks. I've read about fighting conchs getting too large, but mine have been great... had em for about a year now without any problems.

magnum

The photo shows how bad my sand bed looked (it was actually worse at the time I added the goby). The video shows how it looks now and the diamond goby at work.
IMG_7653.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice video. I love to watch the Watchmen doing their sand chugging - like little machines.