what are marco rocks?

Gfoot2000

I can't find any real info on marco rocks beside it being from the east coast, what's it made of? How come it looks like that and not like fiji with the encrusting coraline on it what's its chemical compound? How it ends up being that shape and any other info you guys can think of

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
as I understand it... something like ... when earth was formed... south Florida was under the ocean & this rock is mined from the coral reef from a long long time ago.... that now dry land in south Florida... I think... from what I read... there a special name for it & wikipedia post on this... but I forget the exact name... starts with a O I think....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks John - that is exactly the word I was searching for Oolite !

Does your lovely dry rock (and Marcos, if you know) come from Oolite? If not can you educate us more on where it does come from - thanks !

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Florida Reef Rock (50lbs - Free Shipping)
Florida_Reef_Roc_4cd77eebca452.jpg

KT535

Has been struck by the ban stick
marco rocks is a company that sells dry rock, not a type of rock. They sell rock that is native to south fl and is mined from various quarries. Same stuff is available from many suppliers out of fl. The 2nd is Pukani that is imported from Fiji. Also carried by other vendors.

KT535

Has been struck by the ban stick
I don't know what Oolite is but I do know what marco rocks is. You sounded unsure so I further clarified.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Both John & Marc are RS sponsors... sure one will post back & educate me, I am unsure...

I am 100% sure I Love both of these sponsors dry rock !!!

csmsss

ya thats my questions, why does south floridas rocks look the way it looks compared to fiji rocks
Well, first off - though we call it "rock", none of it is actual rock - it's coral skeletons. And since the coral species in the Atlantic Ocean are quite different from those found in the Atlantic, they have different skeletal structures. Pretty simple, actually.