What about the rest of us?

Nightfall

God love this forum and all its great members with all the great tips, tricks, hints, suggestions, advice, etc.

And rewards are the deals and items available through the sponsors who help keep this site and the members going.....

BUT.....

They only will deal with the red/white/blue.....if you are in Canada your left out! I know I know MOST of you are in the USA but we have free-trade supposedly. We are your northern neighbours....so why are we always left out? If there are sponsors willing to deal with Canada with same offers and deals please shed some light for me cause so far every attempt has met the wall. Be nice if we could get orders too or find someone in US to get the shipment for us and reship it at our risk if thats an issue. Canada has very limited options for equip, livestock, and corals. We are the north coral is not from up here so come on cut us a break.

Ok that was kind of a vent but also a plea.....

Ok will await the flaming this is gonna cause but I hope at some point those not in the USA directly will be given direction.

Mike Johnson

Drs. Foster & Smith is another northern company; and another very good company. Looks like maybe you should ask your government why they tax everything being imported. What happened to the Free Trade Agreement? This is copied from their site:

Shipping to Canada
Flat rate fee ($19.99 US) plus 22% International Surcharge based on merchandise value apply. Online orders ground shipping only; please call 800-381-7179 for expedited shipping. Please expect approximately 7-10 business days for delivery. Sorry, certain items (including Rx prescriptions and flea & tick preventives), are not eligible for Canadian delivery.

Nightfall

Just checked out those sites and everything is a domain name for sale except Fosters and Smith and in Canada they don't sell corals and the other has less selection than my LFS does and that's saying something! Guess I am at the mercy of the only SW Store around. Bummer!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I know StevieT (inTank) ships world wide all the time, I see post all the time of him shipping to the UK, Australia, etc... I am sure for all vendors in every country it's pure economic decisions & they all want to do business everywhere they can make a profit. My guess is your really asking a political question, as I am sure no vendors want to exclude any source of revenue, but that just my thinking and guess.

Here a link I googled & found related, has some good points... hope this helps.

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/customs/a/shopshipcanada.htm

PS - being it's related IMO ... might read this thread & RS Sticky written by the Owner of RS Travis, it's one thing that help keep RS special & the best reefing forum on the net (and Flame free).

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/off-topic/33366-politics-religion.html

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Moved from from RS Tips & Tricks - Features to help you get the most out of reefsanctuary.com

to Vendor/Seller Feedback

Nightfall

I know StevieT (inTank) ships world wide all the time, I see post all the time of him shipping to the UK, Australia, etc... I am sure for all vendors in every country it's pure economic decisions & they all want to do business everywhere they can make a profit. My guess is your really asking a political question, as I am sure no vendors want to exclude any source of revenue, but that just my thinking and guess.

Here a link I googled & found related, has some good points... hope this helps.

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/customs/a/shopshipcanada.htm

PS - being it's related IMO ... might read this thread & RS Sticky written by the Owner of RS Travis, it's one thing that help keep RS special & the best reefing forum on the net (and Flame free).

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/off-topic/33366-politics-religion.html

Actually nothing political about it. Living in a place that has little access to whats really needed to enjoy the hobby is what prompted my posting. Having to wait 4+ weeks to get a cheap refractometer because locally they only carry hydrometers, coral frags that are so tiny its pathetic but still costs $25 or to get a nice one that looks and is of descent size is $60-120 bucks is why. Its my wallet and my desire that prompted it. Nothing political in my wallet believe me.

And the LFS here sell ginormous size tanks and supply for them but nothing for the small hobbyist with 3 gal to 30 gal size tanks. Again have to resort to either learning to be an electrician and build something myself OR order online from Ebay for copious amounts of money or something and wait long times for something I cannot see until it arrives to find out if its what I need or not.

Anyways as 95% of the links listed in response are now domains for sale or only ship food and dry live rock and sand I will suffer through (not like I have a choice besides relocating).

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sounds like it could be an opportunity for you to start a store:). I would also ask your lfs why they do not carry other stuff, they can probably answer you really quick as to whether its wholesaler a wont sell or if the government policies make it too expensive.

So close yet so far :(

Nightfall

Lots of fish stores in town, 1 salt water one. They can (the freshwater ones) carry lighting and stuff but its for planted not corals or saltwater and to custom order I might as well order from Ebay, take same amount of time and probably get cheaper. Ebay don't have coral sellers. Saw a piece from a sponsor site I just love and want in my tank but they wont ship incase its held at customs.

Mike Johnson

Many times I've gone to an LFS and had them order items for me. Most of the time it's at about the same price I can get it for. They get better deals and their shipping is cheaper.