Well water question

carmexx

I have a friend who has well water and I want to give her good advice. She has a 3 gallon tank with goldfish and i wanna know if you can use well water. She has a product called aqua safe to remove chlorine and heavy metals. Can she just treat the well water with this product and keep water in gallon jugs for top off / water change water? I know were only talking goldfish but i know nothing about well water .

DaveK

Well water for a FW system is generally safe, but as you point out it can contain heavy metals.

I notice that you are in Pennsylvania. If your friend lives in one of the coal mining regions of the state, they should also be away that there could be possible well contamination from coal mining, even though it was done years ago.

Using Aqua Safe in this application should be fine.

While we are on the subject, even for goldfish in FW, a 3 gal tank should be restricted to 2 fish.

carmexx

Thanks Dave. She lives in Tennessee. (The smokey mountains reigon). Yes I think she has 2 fish in the tank. I really appreciate your response.
While on the subject she wants to eventually set up an african cichlid tank with yellow labs. What is the minimum size tank for them and will well water be sufficient?