Wave maker on...... Angels DEAD! What's up with THAT!?!

DesertOrchid

Just found my flame angel DEAD and what remains of the Cherub.... DEAD! BOTH DEAD!! I installed the new Hydor 1050 pumps and a wavemaker yesterday. Only new thing :tears::cry1:with the tank. All the other fish are fine... tangs, chromis, lawnmower blenny and gobies. Any one have any idea?? I am stumped and So very very sad!!!

DesertOrchid

I should add that all the water parameters are good! O nitrites, 0 ammonia, 5 on the nitrates and sg 1.025 at 78 degrees. I did move a chili coral from a nearby tank.... looks healthy and is from the same water parameters just a different tank. Can they release some kind of toxins that might effect just the angels???

TylerHaworth

Dwarf angels are typically aggressive to other dwarf angels... It's very possible they all of a sudden decided it was war and killed each other

DesertOrchid

The cherub was barely 2 inches long and the Flame was about 3 1/2 inches... they seldom even chased each other in the 9 months that I had them then all of a sudden on the same day they both die... it is just too strange. I found the Flame angel hiding this morning in a small tunnel. Thought she had gotten stuck since the exit was very small so I unpiled the rocks and she darted off. That was the last time I saw her alive :(

Orcrone

Sorry about your loss. Did you clean your powerhead before installing it? Just wondering if something was left on the powerhead from the manufacturing process.

DesertOrchid

Thanks for the replies... yes I did clean the powerheads and the cords and the suction devices thoroughly. I'm always concerned about weird contaminants like that, hand lotion, oils etc It is just the weirdest thing. I still wonder if the angels were just so freaked out over the click sound as it changes from powerhead to powerhead that they stessed themselves out and died. They were both hiding. The other fish just seem to float in the currents and surf along quite happily. Everything is thriving ( knock on wood) and some of the corals look even better with the changes in current. I have a couple of red sea fans and they are open continuously like never before. I'll wait a few months until it is warmer for shipping and try another angel... really miss their personalities though I hope the new ones are as uninterested in my sps's as the old ones were.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Very strange them dying around the same time. I've had problems in the past with Dwarfs getting caught in ph's while grazing on micro-algae but this doesn't appear to be the issue in your case, have your Tangs shown any aggression towards the Dwarf Angels ?