Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

waucedah_joe

Well I've been working on this for a while so I thought I'd take a break and post some pictures.

Got this tank from Great Lakes Aquariums in Warren Michigan. Figured since I was in the area to pick it up The Wife and I might as well take in a Red Wings game. They beat the Blues to make a good trip great.

140Build-004.jpg

Stand frame in it's raw form.

140Build-001.jpg

Partially assembled.

140Build-002.jpg

All together.

140Build-003.jpg

Got a surplus Formica counter top from Larson's Custom Counters. Had it cut down to length so I had to redo the ends.

140Build-006.jpg

Painted all the raw wood white and put on the sides.

140build-015.jpg

I decided to build the front on a frame so I could remove it in the event I had to put in or take out a tank from under the stand. Here's a few shots of the frame assembly. You can see the counter top in some of them. The side has one coat of stain too.

140build-009.jpg

140build-010.jpg

Front frame complete.

140build-011.jpg

I screwed the front face to the frame from behind. Used the straps to pull everything tight first.

140build-013.jpg

Front face ready to stain. I hate making doors.

140build-008.jpg

That's it for now. Still lots to do but it's coming along.

1Reefer

+1 VERY nice build, that stand is very profesional looking... can't wait to see the tank perched up there

waucedah_joe

Thank you both. Considering that before this project, most of my best carpentry was done with a chain saw, it turned out better than I'd hoped. I'll be staining and varnishing this week. So, hopefully some time late next week I can get some water, sand and rock in there and get the cycle going. I've got the sand and just ordered some base rock from John at ReefCleaners.org

waucedah_joe

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll have some more pictures to post this weekend. I started staining the front yesterday.

waucedah_joe

Re: Waucedah Joe's 140 Build - update

Here's a few more photos of the progress so far.

Staining the front and doors

140Build-018.jpg

140Build-020.jpg

Test fit everything in position.

140Build-017.jpg

If all goes well I should have sand, rock, and water in the tank by next weekend. Fun project but it's starting to drag a bit. I'll be happy to get it done!

rgfast

man that looks great hey you think if I send you my chain you could sharpen it mine doesn't cut quight that smooth

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
+1Rg lol

That is very nice and orginal to, I have never seen a stand built like that, it'sfunction and looks great.

waucedah_joe

After I put on the trim, I had to take the front off and remove the doors to paint the backside. Well I've got the inside surface of the front painted, the trim on, and the final stain and poly applied so It's time to put it in place for good. I'm so close now I can taste it. (or maybe that's the cold Bush in my hand... whatever.) If you look real close you can see the reflection of the soon to be replaced 75 gal.

140Build-002-1.jpg

waucedah_joe

Thank you for the compliments. I looked at hundreds of stands on this and other forums before I started. I saw one or two with a ledge around them and thought that would be handy for a couple of reasons. It will be a good place to set the test kits, or acclimation coolers, (or beer) and I can get rid of the little table I have by my tank now for that purpose. Also, I figured it'd help to keep the inevitable tank water drips and spills off of the stand.

I've been so focused on getting the stand done that I haven't come up with a plan for the next step. I've got live sand, (I know, waste of money) but I really like the salt and pepper look of Caribsea Indo-Pacific Black and couldn't find anything like that dry. I also have 60# of dry base rock to supliment the 120# or so of live rock that I'm going to move over from my 75 gal. Not sure weather to get the sand in and fill it up with water right away or get the base rock situated before or after I put in water. I know that I'll have to have water in when I start transferring the live rock. So many decisions.

tnwillia

Your table top is the first I've seen and it looks great. Your right the black sand looks outstanding in a sand bed. It looks great so far. Go slow so you only have to do it once! Have fun!

waucedah_joe

First off thanks for all the positive feedback.

Cycle was done so, this was the big weekend.

Everything got moved OK, no casualties yet. When I got all the rock, fish, shrimp etc moved Saturday, there was 1 fish unaccounted for. Made sure it didn't go carpet surfing or anything like that when Jill asked, "could it be in the sand"? Well it had never done that before but it's a wrasse which are known to burry themselves in the sand for protection so I figured that could be a possibility. I left the old tank half full of water and left a heater and circulating pump going. Sunday morning still no fish. A couple of hours later, Jill says there it is, and sure enough he was swimming around the tank. I tried to net him 2 or 3 times unsuccessfully, then in a wink it was gone again. I went about other things until later in the day when I figured I'd start siphoning out the rest of the water and suck out as much sand as I could with the siphon. You can't siphon sand. Rats! So now I start raking my fingers through the sand looking for it. By the time I dug it out the water looked like a chocolate milk shake so there's no way I can see to net him. now I start scooping the sand out with a plastic coffee can and I figured once there was not enough sand to hide in I'd siphon out all the water and get him when the water got low enough to see it. I kicked him up a few more times while I was scooping the sand, missed him with the net a few more times when I just took a blind sweep with the net and got him. I put him in the new tank and he didn't look too good, but after 15-20 minutes he perked up and is still alive as of last night. I'll have to take some pictures tonight before the algae comes. I still have to do some more plumbing and electrical work but the stressful part is over for now.

GrendelPrime

thats 1 of the nicest stands ive seen yet..i bet its gonna start a new wave of custom stands..when ever i try to build anything even with the right tools it looks like i made my cuts with rocks chisles and butter knives..lol and please throw up some new pics when u can :)