water?

what water do you use?

• Total voters

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've never used TAP water (well the FIRST fill up I did ). I've "bought" filtered water but your tap (Local Municipality) uses so many chemicals to make it:

Taste good
Have decent shelf life
Kill bacteria

all of those chemicals are NOT what you want in your tank.

RO/DI or the highway :)

69frogs

I can not warn you enough.... DO NOT USE TAP WATER! RODI is the best other wise you will get red slime, and lots of other issues! you will truely regret using tap. If youre like me and only a few years into the hobbie and dont have alot of equipment or money there are a few options. You can buy water from you shop or simply go to walmart (lmao) and buy their colagen water for .33 a gallon

Varga

i filled up a 100 gallon with tap, then did RO WC's....nothing but problems

then I filled up my current tank with RO all the way and nothing but pure joy :D

bratyboy2

well sh** the 10 gallon frag tank i have is 25 tap 75 ro. and my friend has a 125 that is nothing but tap and everything is doing great for him. and my 29 is all tap right now till its cycled oh jesus im going to walmart and getting water.

Varga

I have a friend who uses tap with no problems. I guess some cities have excellent water.

chrome91

I have a friend who uses tap with no problems. I guess some cities have excellent water.

lucky guy! living in a big city the tapwater here has tons of stuff in it. for most of my 55g's 1 year life i used tapwater without knowing how bad it was, my hair algae stage had 2ft long strands of hair algae and i had constant cyano no matter what

11-04-08_2326.jpg

bratyboy2

well the loacl pet store sells it to me for 50 cents a gallon so if i did the 29 it would be 58 dollars....not what i want to spend. i think the water at walmart might be cheaper idk. i might run up there now to see even thought we are getting pounded with rain right now. can i used Distilled water?

bratyboy2

okay well thanks for making me look like an idiot!!! lol and math was my strong subject just not mental. yah okay well i guess i could do it for cheaper but what about distilled btw?

bratyboy2

good to be honest with you giant eagle is closer then walmart and its quicker to get through a line!!! SELF CHECK OUT ANYONE?!?!

burning2nd

kindda a dumb question....

RODI must be used...

non filterd water can have minerals and nutrients that are harmful 2 coral and invters

ReefLady

Staff member
if not rodi try like well water, not tap though

Be careful with well water. It is not usually good water to use. We have well water, and the dissolved solids are horrendous. Ground water usually has a ton of minerals (iron, magnesium, etc) depending on what part of the country you live in.
I would never recommend well water.
If you don't have access to RO/DI, distilled will work.

what you should do is just go get some bottled water like the cheap stuff from a local store by the case and then use it if i have it i use it or else its water conditioner for me i have well water