water query

lobban

Hi,I'm a beginner and have a query regarding the alkalinity and magnesium level measured on my red sea max test kit. I've had water in the tank for 2 weeks now, and cured live rock in for 10 days. No livestock of any kind in the tank.

My alkalinity and magnesium levels are twice as high as they should be, all the other tests are ok. Any suggestions why my levels are high, and what can I do to lower them?

Regards, Mike Lobban

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Mike - many have reported problems with thier Red Sea test kits.

I would verify with another brand or at the lfs.

as a sidebar... when cycling a new tank... I would not worry about these numbers anyway... just watch your ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. One day when you get several corals in the tank, you can concentrate on those numbers, but weekly water changes of 15% will even take care of a lot of that.

DaveK

When you are testing items such as alkalinity, calcium or magnesium, make sure your SG is on target. If it's not you'll skew your readings, not matter how good the test kit is.

For example, if your calcium reading is 320 at a sg of 1.020, it would rise to about 400 if you raised the SG to 1.025.

I highly recommend using a refractometer to measure SG.

Johnly

If you do use a hydrometer, avoid the 5-15 dollar kind...unless you know how to calibrate them, and adjust for their inaccuracies. In fresh water they should read 1.000 at 77 degrees F. But most are off by up to .002! Lab hydrometers are a 100 bucks, but never need calibrating as they are built to lab specs. They are glass, and can break! (my favorite!) I would avoid the low end refractometers too...Spend an extra 20 or 30 bucks to get a good one. I like the fact you are aware of what is going on, and that is only to your advantage. I keep a journal. You can skip the need to worry about that stuff as others have said until tank is ready. Dave is spot on with knowing exactly what your SG is, if that is off, everything else will be too.

lobban

Mike - many have reported problems with thier Red Sea test kits.

I would verify with another brand or at the lfs.

as a sidebar... when cycling a new tank... I would not worry about these numbers anyway... just watch your ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. One day when you get several corals in the tank, you can concentrate on those numbers, but weekly water changes of 15% will even take care of a lot of that.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try another brand, and take it from there. Regards, Mike

lobban

When you are testing items such as alkalinity, calcium or magnesium, make sure your SG is on target. If it's not you'll skew your readings, not matter how good the test kit is.

For example, if your calcium reading is 320 at a sg of 1.020, it would rise to about 400 if you raised the SG to 1.025.

I highly recommend using a refractometer to measure SG.
Thanks, I'm using the hydrometer that came with the red sea max starter kit. Can you recomend a decent make of refractometer? Regards, Mike

lobban

If you do use a hydrometer, avoid the 5-15 dollar kind...unless you know how to calibrate them, and adjust for their inaccuracies. In fresh water they should read 1.000 at 77 degrees F. But most are off by up to .002! Lab hydrometers are a 100 bucks, but never need calibrating as they are built to lab specs. They are glass, and can break! (my favorite!) I would avoid the low end refractometers too...Spend an extra 20 or 30 bucks to get a good one. I like the fact you are aware of what is going on, and that is only to your advantage. I keep a journal. You can skip the need to worry about that stuff as others have said until tank is ready. Dave is spot on with knowing exactly what your SG is, if that is off, everything else will be too.
Thanks for the info, it's nice to know that there's a wealth of knowledge out there. Regards, Mike