Water changes

SGTSLuGG

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about water changes..

When I do a water change, and do 10% weekly, I think that this will break my siphon from my tank to wet/dry filter. After taking ~5.5 Gallons out of my tank (my tank is a 55 gal), do I add the water to the sump or straight in the tank? Also, does the new water have to be heated prior to adding it into my sump or tank? The heater is going to be located in my sump. If someone could provide more detailed information on water changes, that would be great!

Thanks!

Andy

buy another heater and make sure your new water matches the salinity ph temp of the tank water as closely as possible as to not stress your livestock. Also my friends in the hobby say im ocd for this but most people serious about the hobby age the new saltwater i.e let the salt water mature for 24 hours after adding salt to RO water.....and add water to your tank not sump. All the best

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree with Andy on every part except "adding to tank not the sump".... Many of us do the complete water change in the sump... this keep the display tank less "disturbed" and also helps to distribute the newly added SW throughout the tank.

I mix my water/salt and let it stand a MIN of 24hrs before I test and then IF it matches tank water I start my water change.

pete33

Why is it breaking your siphon? You do use an overflow box? I do all my WC's thru my sump. I use a MJ1200 with a hose and first stir up the debris in my sump then pump the water from sump to bucket (keeps my sump really clean) then just pump new water back into sump. I don't need a heater for my new water when mixing because the MJ 1200 heats the water for me.

SGTSLuGG

Pete- I do use an overflox box, I was thinking that taking the 5-6 gallons from the tank would lower the water level too much and break siphon since the box wouldn't be getting water. I'm still trying to figure out how to use my sump (I haven't started it yet, but will after I get my live rock and sand in my tank this weekend).. how to start, how to perform maintenance, etc.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes you'll probably loose your siphon when you lower the water level that much. I actually always turned my return pump off but leave the intank powerheads running. This allowed me to take my time doing the water change without having the tank sit with no movement at all.

pete33

Always turn off pump before WC's. The overflow box will retain enough water to keep the tube submerged and therefore no siphon break. I have never lost a siphon due to WC's.

Doogle

I turn my pumps off, well everything but my lights. If doing small water changes like that I take my already mixed saltwater in my (let's say 5g bucket) container and place it in my kitchen sink that's plugged and pour hot water in the sink around my water bucket, after 10 minutes it is warm enough to pour into my tank(since I don't have a sump).

Quick fix, no heater or pumps necessary.

jerry26

The partition(s) in the external part of the overflow box will trap a little bit of water in both sides and prevent the siphon from breaking. I havent lost siphon on my overflow box for any reason.

dblasky

I've never lost my siphon in 8 years with my tanks. however never considered WC in the sump but seems like a good idea for cleaning the sump. but how do you guys now how much water to put. I do 25% every two weeks. I guess fill the sump turn on the pumps and keep filling until you reach the level.

Doogle

Adding what I remove is how I do it.
It takes time but you'll figure out how many gallons you need by looking if your not filling buckets and learning that way.

Diemaker

I've never lost my siphon in 8 years with my tanks. however never considered WC in the sump but seems like a good idea for cleaning the sump. but how do you guys now how much water to put. I do 25% every two weeks. I guess fill the sump turn on the pumps and keep filling until you reach the level.

Turn your pumps off and use a marker to mark the water level in your sump . Then when you fill back up just fill to the mark. Make sure to turn your ato off before doing this HTH