Votes: 7 8.9%
  • As needed based on tank inhabitants

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Every few months

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Because I don't add any trace elements or chemicals to my tank I do a 10 gls water change weekly!Alk and calcium are taking care by my alk reactor.I have a 90 gls tank.VINA

mick77

I do about 12 gallons every two weeks or so on my 100. For a while I was having trouble with Nitrates and Phosphates so I would change water at least once a week until they leveled out.

blythe

I do a 25% change weekly (or bi-weekly at the latest) on my 20, and the 55 gets a water change once a month (hopefully). The 55 only gets about a 10% change.

fisheye

I do about 10gal a week on my 180 and also if I notice anything funny with the tank I do one or if my skimmer goes nuts for the day then I have to.

dgasmd

I have a total water volume of 560g. I try to change 50g weekly, but I slack off a lot and end up being somewhere like every 10 days or every 2 weeks. Sometimes even less often. I wished I was more concistant.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I do a water change every week about 15-25% I have a 42 gal the reason I do it religiously every week is because I have a heavy bio-load. I also use a turkey baster and blow debris off the rock just before the water change :)

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Oh man here I am sticking out like a sore thumb again, lol. :D I splilled out some water, so I can join the group here:) ...ok .....forgive me Father for I have sinned...its been 3 years since my last water change, but I promise to spill some out by accident so I can participate:D

Ok that was a knock on wood about the spill thing:rolleyes:

Mike

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by mojoreef
forgive me Father for I have sinned...its been 3 years since my last water change, but I promise to spill some out by accident so I can participate:D
Mike

OK, Mike, for your Penance: You must stir up some DSBs for the next ten days ;)

Scooterman

I've heard of several people that has had tanks for years, In particular this one guy has a 400g and a 250g, in eight years never changed water in the big tank, & only one or two WC in the 250 over the past 3 years. Ok, what is required to be successful like this without changing water?

tankgirl

I didn't fit in the chart - 10% every ten days. I could probably do less, but fear keeps me doing it.
Scott, Mike (mojoreef) doesn't do water changes, and there's a thread about it called "Mike's water filtration methods" or something like that..., it's in the New Frontiers forum.

ReefLady

Staff member
I splilled out some water, so I can join the group here ...ok .....forgive me Father for I have sinned...its been 3 years since my last water change, but I promise to spill some out by accident so I can participate

LOL, I was avoiding this thread, afraid of admitting "water-change-guilt", but Mike - you covered me, since you're worse than I am, I can post now. LOL

We *aim* for a 20g (about 10%) change every 4-6 weeks. It usually ends up being every 2-3 months, sometimes 4-5 months. This is not right for everyone!

Ok, what is required to be successful like this without changing water?

IMO, a few things...

(1) A lot of water for stability
(2) A very good skimmer
(3) Very low bioload
(4) Calcium reactor and/or Kalk reactor to replace elements

Those are the biggies. Not recommended for all setups!

Cosmic

My water changes are 5 Gallons every week on a 75 w/ 55 refugium system.

I always run a magnum 350 on my tank with a powdered carbon while performing any changes, but removing it shortly after the tank becomes crystal clear again (a few hours or overnight at most).

I have recently taken to actually siphoning sections of my DSB, being as careful as possible to keep all stirup as local as possible, removing as much as I can instead of allowing it to hit the water column. I feel that stirring it up into the column makes it MUCH more difficult to remove from the system, superskimmer aside. The Magnum is then in place to help remove anything that clouds up beyond my ability to remove it.

The rocks regrettably only get blown off when I start to see buildup of algae beyond normal circumstances, but again only during water changes when the magnums running to help remove the debris.

johnlewis

I do a 10% change each month sweeping my crushed coral bottom which is about 2" deep. I top off with R/O DI every other day at the rate of 2 qts.

TDEVIL

well, im in the same boat as most are, i try to do w/c every month (20-40g), but it never gets done but its close
like Cos, i also use external filters while doing w/c's
i use a Python to aid in the w/c's, i dont see how some of you can lug those buckets around;)

PS. i am a procrastinator, but a happy one;)

TD

mojoreef

Just a reefer
I have recently taken to actually siphoning sections of my DSB, being as careful as possible to keep all stirup as local as possible, removing as much as I can instead of allowing it to hit the water column. I feel that stirring it up into the column makes it MUCH more difficult to remove from the system, superskimmer aside. The Magnum is then in place to help remove anything that clouds up beyond my ability to remove it.
But Why?????????? :p step into the light...step inot the light..you know I love ya.

Scotterman its pretty simple my friend, people do water change for two main reasons. One is for elemental replenishment I have that taken care of with the reactor and kalk. beside AS mixes are probibly the lowest grade additives out thier. The other is for dillution of polution. For me I dont allow the polution to build up, I remove it through good and dynamic flow and then burn it with UV, Foam it with a good skimmer and then fliter it with carbon and posphate remover. I would put dimes to dollars that my old water is cleaner and more nutrient free then freshly made ASW.

just my 2 cents

Mike

mps9506

10-20 gallons a week in my 40 gallon.
I'm starting to use filtered NSW for my water changes now.
My tanks has been looking better week by week.
Mike