• As needed based on tank inhabitants

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Every few months

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters

mwrager

I do a water change at the first of the month. I change out about 30 gal in a 125 gal tank with a sump of 30 gal. So thats about 20%

BoomerD

I've been hecka lazy lately. I ususlly do about 10 -20% per week, but lately, all I can seem to manage is top-offs. Between the crappy knee , torn rotator cuff, and lately the sciatica, lugging buckets just doesn't appeal to me. I GOTTA get a new water changing hose! Nothing seems to be suffering from my poor maintenance, but I know I need to get some done. MAYBE this week!:D

blue_eyes53813

On the 1st and 15th of the month ( dont forget that way) I do a 10-15% water change each time.I dont blow off the rocks or anything. Its that easy.:D

Craig Manoukian

Just a reminder that every tank is different. What tank maintenance works for one may not work entierly on another. Bioload, circulation , oxygenation, filtration, etc. all make a tank's needs individual.

Listen to and watch your tank, intimate knowledge of your system will be your greatest asset long-term.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

blue_eyes53813

Can I ask why some blow off the rocks? Im sorry if that is silly but it seems to me if you blow off the rocks than it will just land on a different rock? No pun intended.:D Just curious. my tank is a year old and I dont have any build up on the rocks.How is the sand getting on the rocks?Just curious. How many do blow off the rocks? Should I be doing this?

Cougra

Blue_eyes:

It's the debris that people are blowing off the rocks. You would be amazed at how much comes off those things, even if you don't see it debris gets caught in the pores of the rocks and some of it comes from inside the rocks as well from the bacterial action. If you leave the rocks to shed it's own debris it leaves more food for the bacteria to break down. Eventually it'll work it's way through the rock and down until it hits the substrate.

By blowing it off, yes soem will settle on the other rocks, but some of it will get cuaght up in the water column so you can physically remove it from your system before it gets broken down. This removal will help maintain water quaility.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
Just a reminder that every tank is different. What tank maintenance works for one may not work entierly on another. Bioload, circulation , oxygenation, filtration, etc. all make a tank's needs individual.

Thanks Craig...that's what I meant when I said (you just stated it better) ;):

Originally posted by NaH2O
What is your water change schedule? I understand there can be a lot of factors involved with this.

I was curious to what the general trend is. Everyone has a plan that works for their particular system - and no system is the same. Also, it is interesting to learn of different methods utilized when performing the water changes (i.e. turkey basters vs. powerheads, etc.).

jlserr

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian

Listen to and watch your tank, intimate knowledge of your system will be your greatest asset long-term.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

The fist of the two water changes I've done was cause i needed to dip my bubble coral with the water of the tank (with tech D) the second one was to dip my sarcophyton.... about 10% each one cause both corals are big and needed a lot of water.

I've tested my water every week end and params are ok ... Is there another reason to change my mind and start a water change schedule? I've always thought "If it's not broken... don't fix it"

Spooda420

I change the water once a month or so...160 gallons I change out 45 gallons monthly, so 28.1%

Like everyone else I blast the rock with the PH's and try suck ou the dirty water.

jks1

Thanks for the thread Nikki- interesting. I was kinda surprised at the number of folks that do weekly or more frequent water changes. I'll admit I started that way but have gradually dropped to 10% or so every three weeks or a month. I test weekly or more often and blow off the rocks every few days, but I saw no difference in the test results or in the appearance of the critters when I lengthened the time between water changes. For those weekly changers- have you tried going longer or do you have a specific reason for changing water so often- just curious..

EdgeKrusher

For me it's cause i have a nano. And that's really the only reason. Yes I have gone about 2 weeks without a change and really haven't notice much of a difference. Haven't tested in over a month though, I'm a terrible person. LOL

EK

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I do a water change whenever I get around to it:D I try to do it the weekend after I get paid (every other week), but sometimes I don't feel like it:D It averages a little under once a month, and I change 10 gallons. 25% of actual water volume of my 50 gallon. When I had my water tested when I found out I had undetectable nitrates (or really close to it), I hadn't done a WC in about a month.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by jlserr

I've tested my water every week end and params are ok ... Is there another reason to change my mind and start a water change schedule? I've always thought "If it's not broken... don't fix it"

IMO, you should do what you have been doing. Unless you begin to see a problem with your test results or your inhabitants.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
with 2 to 3 gals evaporation a day i do very few water changes.

Wooddood, the only thing that evaporates is h2o, not the elements that are accumulating necessatating a waterchange. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way you change water, with larger systems I don't have a problem with the people that do 0 waterchanges, just making sure you understand that replacing evaporation is not replacing waterchanges.