Water change method?

What do you use?

• Buckets

Votes: 83 55.7%
  • Large trash can with return pump?

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • Both buckets and trash can with return pump?

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Python and trash can with return pump?

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 18 12.1%

• Total voters

bluespotjawfish

I'm impatient so this is what I do -

Hook up the Python to the kitchen sink, run the hose about 50 feet to my tank, place that in the top of the tank at the opposite side as my inlet tubes, then turn on the water to start draining it.

Then, I have another hose that I place in my sump and hook up about 35 feet away to the pump that runs in my Brute. (Note to self, place hose in sump before attaching it to the pump, remove from pump before taking out of sump - the two more important steps in the process that should not be overlooked.)

I'm sure that some of my nice clean water gets siphoned out, but not much and I am done in less than 5 minutes! If the gravel needs a vacuuming, I can do that while I wait, otherwise I sit and watch everything do it's magic. The python drains a bit slower than the pump pushes water in, but I have room in the sump for the slight extra water. I just remove the pump line first, then wait for the water to receed to the correct level before shutting down the phython.

The only thing I really have to pay attention to is the darn auto topoff. Sometimes I forget to turn it off before I start my WCs. If I am slow at starting the pump, then it will start topping off with kalk. If I'm not, the water level never goes below the normal line.