washing your hands

reefjitsu

I always try to wash my hands or use hand sanitizer after I touch any living thing or their living quarters or associated items.

Cougra

I always wash my hands after playing in the tank. I've had a nasty alergic reaction once and never want to go through that again.

Witfull

that which does not kill you,,,well,, umm,,,doesnt kill you,,,but,,ummm,,,where was i going with this?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I always wash after. Still didnt read that link you put on but i wash cause my arms kinda burn from the salt water.

Gina

RS STAFF
Ok, I'm a bad girl!
I always wash my hands before putting them in the tank but, will admit that depending on what I am doing, sometimes I just dry off my hands with a towel after I've been in there.
I might have to rethink that!! LOL

lcstorc

Well Gina you have company in the bad girl category.
Guess I am more worried about the reef than myself since I also wash before the tank but not always after.
Guess I need to behave after that story.
Thanks for sharing Booze. Good info to know.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
i agre with everyone i must care for the tank more than myself for i too wash before and not after..and i start my siphon orally aswell.i should get some gloves.

fishcrazy

I recommend gloves. However, if you don't use them, washing is necessary. Mycobacterium marinum is always a possibility.

SOURCE: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/sp/feature/index.php

DonTuttlesFinger.jpg

ghostwolf

I wash before and after with antibacterial soap even if I have worn gloves. Just something about having my hands someplace that has waste material in it, I guess.

Lin

Frankie

RS STAFF
I don't think our tanks are toxic Ghostwolf. :) I never wash with soap or anything before going into my tank. to easy to polute my tank that way. I'll just rince off with hot water. (hot water evaporates faster then cold and i dont want tap water in my tank) Because i get itchy from salt water i rince off with fresh after most times. Other then the slight twitch i seem to be ok.

Charlie97L

i have full arm gloves that i wear 95% of the time, because i tend to get cuts on my hands from my other hobbies... but i always wash/rinse after i put my arms in the tank without them (after checking to see if i have any current cuts)

about 2 months after i started the tank, i got conjunctivitis, a sinus infection, and an ear infection, all at the same time. my doctor determined that the infection originated in my eyes, and spread, and since i've NEVER gotten pinkeye... i surmised i must have not washed well enough before handling my contacts. (this was pre-gloves)... now maybe that's not what caused it, but in my head it was, so now i'm vigilant... because honestly, doing 4 types of drops like 6 times a day for a month, just sucks.