Walking Batfish Causes?? B&W clown to popeye

wazzifam

Quick summary. Got new walking batfish that scared the crap out of everything in the tank. Now Clown has popeye.

No quarantine tank here but need to treat.
Can the whole tank be treated sucessfully corals and all?

chrome91

lol, youre in a pickle

if its one eye, that usually means he bumped himself, not poor water quality. I bought a damsel for my 125g a week ago and he bumped himself, and his left eye was popped out so far i was sure it would go out of the socket. today, the fluid drained and his eyes near normal

your clowns eye is not too severe, and time could heal it, but in the meantime i would get a 10g or better yet a 20g with a HOB filter, heater, and some PVC pipe going so in a while you can move him to treat him or other future fish. try local online ads for a cheap quarantine tank

wazzifam

I would not blame it on bad or poor water quality. What im blaming it on is the stress from adding an 8" monster into my tank. My water quality has been a little poor but Ive been working on that. It didnt start until after the arrival of the new fish and it looks pretty HUGE this morning.

So the maracyn Plus isnt reef safe and should not be added to the whole tank?

Anyone else with any insight.
fish suffering More like IM SUFFERING,
LOL

lcstorc

What's wrong with the 35? Not ideal since it is a bit larger and will cost a bit more to treat but it could certainly work particularly if the primary concern is to calm the fish.

wazzifam

Nothing is really wrong with it except its empty and I am not able to fill it with water at this time.
Im so greatful for all the info here. I have learned that the 150 will not get set up without using a QT tank up and running at the same time. I cant afford to let this happen again. I may have to wait it out but not liking that to much. It hurts me to see them suffer.

The eye on the clown is getting worse. And the rest of the story comes out.

when the Batfish was placed into the tank. Clown had a Fit. infact you'd think he was part of the acrobatics in circus. He jumped up and hit the light then cleared 30" and hit the carpet. not sure if he bumped himself on the way down. they put him back in the tank as fast as they could. So im sure its a combination of the new fish and the jumping out of the tank.
So here are a couple of pics of the clowns eye this morning. I see a spot at the bottom of his eye. but im not sure the pics will show that.
Here are 2 pics. you can see the gold spot at the lower region of the eye. thats the spot im concerned

1st pic is a profile to see the size diff.
100_5349.jpg

In this pic you can see the spot on the bottom of his eye. And he is not eatting at all now.
100_5348.jpg

thanks for all the input

wazzifam

Kim I know money is tight but Wal Mart has 10 gallon tanks for 10 bucks.

past tight..... but im gonna find a way to make it work out!
may be taking a trip to the inlet! lol

found a 10 gal. what do I need for flow? it doenst need rock or sand right?
should I use water out of the 55 in the 10 gal so it doesnt stress him any more? and put fresh saltwater back in to top off? salt is toooo low to add Ro to big tank.

chrome91

no rock or sand. you can use the water from the other tank so the chemistry is the same. since you have no established bacteria on the 10g, i would do a 50% water change every 3-4 days so you do not get ammonia.

wazzifam

Thanks ok working on the HOB. Just trying to make a :cursin: situation :girlthumb: painlessly for everyone.
my main tank doesnt have sump

wazzifam

WOW where was this when I was looking for it yesterday!! Lets see what I can do.

Simple Sponge Filter (corner filter) -- one per 15-20 gallons of water; with air pump and air tubing. yea!!
It takes about 4 to 8 weeks for the sponge to be ready to serve as the QT biological filter. BOO!!

Conceivably can I diss mantle a filter from the DT and use the sponge in the QT??

BigJay

yes and no.

One thing your DT is lacking flow so removing one of your filters without adding a powerhead may cause more problems in the DT.

Ideally you'd want a filter that was just for the QT tank so your not bring disease or medicines back and forth.

I'd just go with a sponge filter and an air stone. Use local sea water.. its going to get dumped anyway and its better then doing nothing at all. All told you should be able to set up your 35 in this manner for around 15-20 bucks.

lcstorc

You can use a sponge from the display in the qt since anything in the display the fish has already been exposed to. You do not want to do the reverse.
You can set up the qt without the seeded sponge in a crisis as noted in the thread. You will just need more water changes. Lee speaks of cases where the biological filter crashes. That would be the same thing as having none. Not ideal, but can be done.

leebca

Kim (or is it also wazzifam?),

I'd say the fish has a classic case of Popeye. However there may be several different types of causes of this condition.

Some people do nothing and hope the fish comes around; other fish die from this.

I always treat the fish. In a quarantine tank add a double dose of Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes. Double the dose indicated on the medication packaging.

Although the swelling is likely internal and from a bacterial infection of the ocular area, the eye can respond in this way to an injury. If an injury, it should heal in a few days. If an infection and goes untreated. . .The fish can stay here or move on to another dimension.

Also, if an infection there is something likely wrong with the aquarium water quality. From the other thread, I think you have an idea on what that might be.

Good luck! :thumbup:

wazzifam

I'd say the fish has a classic case of Popeye. However there may be several different types of causes of this condition.

Some people do nothing and hope the fish comes around; other fish die from this.

I always treat the fish. In a quarantine tank add a double dose of Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes. Double the dose indicated on the medication packaging.

Although the swelling is likely internal and from a bacterial infection of the ocular area, the eye can respond in this way to an injury. If an injury, it should heal in a few days. If an infection and goes untreated. . .The fish can stay here or move on to another dimension.

Also, if an infection there is something likely wrong with the aquarium water quality. From the other thread, I think you have an idea on what that might be.

thanks for your info. I feel alot better with the info I have gotten here. Working on all issues patiently. Will Keep all interested posted on progress.
So glad I found RS!!

MY fishies depend on you more than you know!!

wazzifam

Kim (or is it also wazzifam) Its both or either! LOL